Skip Menu |
 

This queue is for tickets about the XML-LibXML CPAN distribution.

Report information
The Basics
Id: 89540
Status: open
Priority: 0/
Queue: XML-LibXML

People
Owner: Nobody in particular
Requestors: RSAVAGE [...] cpan.org
Cc:
AdminCc:

Bug Information
Severity: Critical
Broken in: 2.0106
Fixed in: (no value)



Subject: undefined symbol: xmlMemMalloc
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 564b
cpanm XML::LibXML fails with Can't load '/home/ron/.cpanm/work/1381878351.13605/XML-LibXML-2.0106/blib/arch/auto/XML/LibXML/LibXML.so' for module XML::LibXML: /home/ron/.cpanm/work/1381878351.13605/XML-LibXML-2.0106/blib/arch/auto/XML/LibXML/LibXML.so: undefined symbol: xmlMemMalloc at /home/ron/perl5/perlbrew/perls/perl-5.14.2/lib/5.14.2/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/DynaLoader.pm line 190. at /home/ron/.cpanm/work/1381878351.13605/XML-LibXML-2.0106/blib/lib/XML/LibXML.pm line 154. See attached files, which are the log of the cpanm run and output of perl -V.
Subject: cpanm.log
Download cpanm.log
text/x-log 72.7k

Message body is not shown because it is too large.

Subject: perl.log
Download perl.log
text/x-log 2.7k
Summary of my perl5 (revision 5 version 14 subversion 2) configuration: Platform: osname=linux, osvers=2.6.32-5-amd64, archname=x86_64-linux-thread-multi uname='linux zigzag 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 smp mon oct 3 03:59:20 utc 2011 x86_64 gnulinux ' config_args='-de -Dprefix=/home/ron/perl5/perlbrew/perls/perl-5.14.2 -Dusethreads' hint=recommended, useposix=true, d_sigaction=define useithreads=define, usemultiplicity=define useperlio=define, d_sfio=undef, uselargefiles=define, usesocks=undef use64bitint=define, use64bitall=define, uselongdouble=undef usemymalloc=n, bincompat5005=undef Compiler: cc='cc', ccflags ='-D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -fstack-protector -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64', optimize='-O2', cppflags='-D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -fstack-protector -I/usr/local/include' ccversion='', gccversion='4.4.5', gccosandvers='' intsize=4, longsize=8, ptrsize=8, doublesize=8, byteorder=12345678 d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=16 ivtype='long', ivsize=8, nvtype='double', nvsize=8, Off_t='off_t', lseeksize=8 alignbytes=8, prototype=define Linker and Libraries: ld='cc', ldflags =' -fstack-protector -L/usr/local/lib' libpth=/usr/local/lib /lib/../lib /usr/lib/../lib /lib /usr/lib /lib64 /usr/lib64 libs=-lnsl -ldl -lm -lcrypt -lutil -lpthread -lc perllibs=-lnsl -ldl -lm -lcrypt -lutil -lpthread -lc libc=/lib/libc-2.11.2.so, so=so, useshrplib=false, libperl=libperl.a gnulibc_version='2.11.2' Dynamic Linking: dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=so, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags='-Wl,-E' cccdlflags='-fPIC', lddlflags='-shared -O2 -L/usr/local/lib -fstack-protector' Characteristics of this binary (from libperl): Compile-time options: MULTIPLICITY PERL_DONT_CREATE_GVSV PERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT PERL_MALLOC_WRAP PERL_PRESERVE_IVUV USE_64_BIT_ALL USE_64_BIT_INT USE_ITHREADS USE_LARGE_FILES USE_PERLIO USE_PERL_ATOF USE_REENTRANT_API Built under linux Compiled at Jan 2 2012 11:51:35 %ENV: PERLBREW_HOME="/home/ron/.perlbrew" PERLBREW_PATH="/home/ron/perl5/perlbrew/bin:/home/ron/perl5/perlbrew/perls/perl-5.14.2/bin" PERLBREW_PERL="perl-5.14.2" PERLBREW_ROOT="/home/ron/perl5/perlbrew" PERLBREW_VERSION="0.29" @INC: /home/ron/perl5/perlbrew/perls/perl-5.14.2/lib/site_perl/5.14.2/x86_64-linux-thread-multi /home/ron/perl5/perlbrew/perls/perl-5.14.2/lib/site_perl/5.14.2 /home/ron/perl5/perlbrew/perls/perl-5.14.2/lib/5.14.2/x86_64-linux-thread-multi /home/ron/perl5/perlbrew/perls/perl-5.14.2/lib/5.14.2 .
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 909b
Hello RSAVAGE, On Tue Oct 15 19:11:16 2013, RSAVAGE wrote: Show quoted text
> cpanm XML::LibXML fails with > Can't load '/home/ron/.cpanm/work/1381878351.13605/XML-LibXML- > 2.0106/blib/arch/auto/XML/LibXML/LibXML.so' for module XML::LibXML: > /home/ron/.cpanm/work/1381878351.13605/XML-LibXML- > 2.0106/blib/arch/auto/XML/LibXML/LibXML.so: undefined symbol: > xmlMemMalloc at /home/ron/perl5/perlbrew/perls/perl- > 5.14.2/lib/5.14.2/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/DynaLoader.pm line 190. > at /home/ron/.cpanm/work/1381878351.13605/XML-LibXML- > 2.0106/blib/lib/XML/LibXML.pm line 154. > > See attached files, which are the log of the cpanm run and output of > perl -V.
You need to link against libxml2.so . Please install the libxml2-dev or libxml2-devel package or whatever and try again. Also note that perl-5.14.2 was end-of-lifed and you should use perl-5.16.x or preferably perl-5.18.x instead. Regards, -- Shlomi Fish
On 2013-10-16 12:46:02, SHLOMIF wrote: Show quoted text
> Hello RSAVAGE, > > On Tue Oct 15 19:11:16 2013, RSAVAGE wrote:
> > cpanm XML::LibXML fails with > > Can't load '/home/ron/.cpanm/work/1381878351.13605/XML-LibXML- > > 2.0106/blib/arch/auto/XML/LibXML/LibXML.so' for module XML::LibXML: > > /home/ron/.cpanm/work/1381878351.13605/XML-LibXML- > > 2.0106/blib/arch/auto/XML/LibXML/LibXML.so: undefined symbol: > > xmlMemMalloc at /home/ron/perl5/perlbrew/perls/perl- > > 5.14.2/lib/5.14.2/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/DynaLoader.pm line 190. > > at /home/ron/.cpanm/work/1381878351.13605/XML-LibXML- > > 2.0106/blib/lib/XML/LibXML.pm line 154. > > > > See attached files, which are the log of the cpanm run and output of > > perl -V.
> > You need to link against libxml2.so . Please install the libxml2-dev > or libxml2-devel package or whatever and try again.
Compilation succeeded, so this cannot be the issue. Also this in th configuration step looks strange: running xml2-config...ok (2.8.0) Checking for ability to link against xml2...yes but later: Warning (mostly harmless): No library found for -lxml2 Regards, Slaven
Subject: Re: [rt.cpan.org #89540] undefined symbol: xmlMemMalloc
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 16:32:27 +1100
To: bug-XML-LibXML [...] rt.cpan.org
From: Ron Savage <ron [...] savage.net.au>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 1.5k
Hi Shlomi On 17/10/13 03:46, Shlomi Fish via RT wrote: Show quoted text
> <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=89540 > > > Hello RSAVAGE, > > On Tue Oct 15 19:11:16 2013, RSAVAGE wrote:
>> cpanm XML::LibXML fails with >> Can't load '/home/ron/.cpanm/work/1381878351.13605/XML-LibXML- >> 2.0106/blib/arch/auto/XML/LibXML/LibXML.so' for module XML::LibXML: >> /home/ron/.cpanm/work/1381878351.13605/XML-LibXML- >> 2.0106/blib/arch/auto/XML/LibXML/LibXML.so: undefined symbol: >> xmlMemMalloc at /home/ron/perl5/perlbrew/perls/perl- >> 5.14.2/lib/5.14.2/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/DynaLoader.pm line 190. >> at /home/ron/.cpanm/work/1381878351.13605/XML-LibXML- >> 2.0106/blib/lib/XML/LibXML.pm line 154. >> >> See attached files, which are the log of the cpanm run and output of >> perl -V.
> > You need to link against libxml2.so . Please install the libxml2-dev or libxml2-devel package or whatever and try again. Also note that perl-5.14.2 was end-of-lifed and you should use perl-5.16.x or preferably perl-5.18.x instead.
Thanx for the reply. Installed already: ron@zigzag:~$ sudo aptitude search libxml2 [sudo] password for ron: v libglobus-libxml2 v libglobus-libxml2-dev i A libxml2 p libxml2-dbg i libxml2-dev p libxml2-doc i A libxml2-utils p libxml2-utils-dbg i A python-libxml2 p python-libxml2-dbg v python2.6-libxml2 v python2.6-libxml2-dbg v python2.7-libxml2 v python2.7-libxml2-dbg perlbrew says V 5.18./2/ is not yet available, and it's my policy to wait for a *.2. But don't worry, I am aware of this issue. Show quoted text
> Regards, > > -- Shlomi Fish >
-- Ron Savage http://savage.net.au/ Ph: 0421 920 622
Subject: Re: [rt.cpan.org #89540] undefined symbol: xmlMemMalloc
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 16:35:34 +1100
To: bug-XML-LibXML [...] rt.cpan.org
From: Ron Savage <ron [...] savage.net.au>
Hi Slaven On 17/10/13 04:30, Slaven_Rezic via RT wrote: Show quoted text
>> You need to link against libxml2.so . Please install the libxml2-dev >> or libxml2-devel package or whatever and try again.
> > Compilation succeeded, so this cannot be the issue. > > Also this in th configuration step looks strange: > > running xml2-config...ok (2.8.0) > Checking for ability to link against xml2...yes > > but later: > > Warning (mostly harmless): No library found for -lxml2
Thanx for the reply. Yes, curious. From the other msg you'll see libxml2 is installed. Also: ron@zigzag:~$ find /usr -name libxml2.\* /usr/share/aclocal/libxml2.m4 /usr/share/pyshared/libxml2.py /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.a /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.so.2.8.0 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.so.2 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.so /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/libxml2.py /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/libxml2.pyc /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/libxml2.py /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/libxml2.pyc Ergo, I am confused :-(. -- Ron Savage http://savage.net.au/ Ph: 0421 920 622
Subject: Re: [rt.cpan.org #89540] undefined symbol: xmlMemMalloc
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 17:02:20 +1100
To: bug-XML-LibXML [...] rt.cpan.org
From: Ron Savage <ron [...] savage.net.au>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 1.8k
Hi All Brute force worked: sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.so /usr/lib On 18/10/13 16:32, ron@savage.net.au via RT wrote: Show quoted text
> <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=89540 > > > Hi Shlomi > > On 17/10/13 03:46, Shlomi Fish via RT wrote:
>> <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=89540 > >> >> Hello RSAVAGE, >> >> On Tue Oct 15 19:11:16 2013, RSAVAGE wrote:
>>> cpanm XML::LibXML fails with >>> Can't load '/home/ron/.cpanm/work/1381878351.13605/XML-LibXML- >>> 2.0106/blib/arch/auto/XML/LibXML/LibXML.so' for module XML::LibXML: >>> /home/ron/.cpanm/work/1381878351.13605/XML-LibXML- >>> 2.0106/blib/arch/auto/XML/LibXML/LibXML.so: undefined symbol: >>> xmlMemMalloc at /home/ron/perl5/perlbrew/perls/perl- >>> 5.14.2/lib/5.14.2/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/DynaLoader.pm line 190. >>> at /home/ron/.cpanm/work/1381878351.13605/XML-LibXML- >>> 2.0106/blib/lib/XML/LibXML.pm line 154. >>> >>> See attached files, which are the log of the cpanm run and output of >>> perl -V.
>> >> You need to link against libxml2.so . Please install the libxml2-dev or libxml2-devel package or whatever and try again. Also note that perl-5.14.2 was end-of-lifed and you should use perl-5.16.x or preferably perl-5.18.x instead.
> > Thanx for the reply. > > Installed already: > ron@zigzag:~$ sudo aptitude search libxml2 > [sudo] password for ron: > v libglobus-libxml2 > v libglobus-libxml2-dev > i A libxml2 > p libxml2-dbg > i libxml2-dev > p libxml2-doc > i A libxml2-utils > p libxml2-utils-dbg > i A python-libxml2 > p python-libxml2-dbg > v python2.6-libxml2 > v python2.6-libxml2-dbg > v python2.7-libxml2 > v python2.7-libxml2-dbg > > perlbrew says V 5.18./2/ is not yet available, and it's my policy to > wait for a *.2. But don't worry, I am aware of this issue. >
>> Regards, >> >> -- Shlomi Fish >>
>
-- Ron Savage http://savage.net.au/
Hi Ron, On Mon Oct 21 02:02:53 2013, ron@savage.net.au wrote: Show quoted text
> Hi All > > Brute force worked: > > sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.so /usr/lib >
Can I close the bug then? Regards, -- Shlomi Fish Show quoted text
> On 18/10/13 16:32, ron@savage.net.au via RT wrote:
> > <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=89540 > > > > > Hi Shlomi > > > > On 17/10/13 03:46, Shlomi Fish via RT wrote:
> >> <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=89540 > > >> > >> Hello RSAVAGE, > >> > >> On Tue Oct 15 19:11:16 2013, RSAVAGE wrote:
> >>> cpanm XML::LibXML fails with > >>> Can't load '/home/ron/.cpanm/work/1381878351.13605/XML-LibXML- > >>> 2.0106/blib/arch/auto/XML/LibXML/LibXML.so' for module XML::LibXML: > >>> /home/ron/.cpanm/work/1381878351.13605/XML-LibXML- > >>> 2.0106/blib/arch/auto/XML/LibXML/LibXML.so: undefined symbol: > >>> xmlMemMalloc at /home/ron/perl5/perlbrew/perls/perl- > >>> 5.14.2/lib/5.14.2/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/DynaLoader.pm line 190. > >>> at /home/ron/.cpanm/work/1381878351.13605/XML-LibXML- > >>> 2.0106/blib/lib/XML/LibXML.pm line 154. > >>> > >>> See attached files, which are the log of the cpanm run and output > >>> of > >>> perl -V.
> >> > >> You need to link against libxml2.so . Please install the libxml2-dev > >> or libxml2-devel package or whatever and try again. Also note that > >> perl-5.14.2 was end-of-lifed and you should use perl-5.16.x or > >> preferably perl-5.18.x instead.
> > > > Thanx for the reply. > > > > Installed already: > > ron@zigzag:~$ sudo aptitude search libxml2 > > [sudo] password for ron: > > v libglobus-libxml2 > > v libglobus-libxml2-dev > > i A libxml2 > > p libxml2-dbg > > i libxml2-dev > > p libxml2-doc > > i A libxml2-utils > > p libxml2-utils-dbg > > i A python-libxml2 > > p python-libxml2-dbg > > v python2.6-libxml2 > > v python2.6-libxml2-dbg > > v python2.7-libxml2 > > v python2.7-libxml2-dbg > > > > perlbrew says V 5.18./2/ is not yet available, and it's my policy to > > wait for a *.2. But don't worry, I am aware of this issue. > >
> >> Regards, > >> > >> -- Shlomi Fish > >>
> >
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 2.4k
On 2013-10-21 11:42:48, SHLOMIF wrote: Show quoted text
> Hi Ron, > > On Mon Oct 21 02:02:53 2013, ron@savage.net.au wrote:
> > Hi All > > > > Brute force worked: > > > > sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.so /usr/lib > >
> > Can I close the bug then? >
No. Nothing is resolved yet, that above is just an ugly hack. What about the strange contradicting messages in Makefile.PL regarding the libxml2 detection? Maybe it's related somehow? Regards, Slaven Show quoted text
> Regards, > > -- Shlomi Fish >
> > On 18/10/13 16:32, ron@savage.net.au via RT wrote:
> > > <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=89540 > > > > > > > Hi Shlomi > > > > > > On 17/10/13 03:46, Shlomi Fish via RT wrote:
> > >> <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=89540 > > > >> > > >> Hello RSAVAGE, > > >> > > >> On Tue Oct 15 19:11:16 2013, RSAVAGE wrote:
> > >>> cpanm XML::LibXML fails with > > >>> Can't load '/home/ron/.cpanm/work/1381878351.13605/XML-LibXML- > > >>> 2.0106/blib/arch/auto/XML/LibXML/LibXML.so' for module XML::LibXML: > > >>> /home/ron/.cpanm/work/1381878351.13605/XML-LibXML- > > >>> 2.0106/blib/arch/auto/XML/LibXML/LibXML.so: undefined symbol: > > >>> xmlMemMalloc at /home/ron/perl5/perlbrew/perls/perl- > > >>> 5.14.2/lib/5.14.2/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/DynaLoader.pm line 190. > > >>> at /home/ron/.cpanm/work/1381878351.13605/XML-LibXML- > > >>> 2.0106/blib/lib/XML/LibXML.pm line 154. > > >>> > > >>> See attached files, which are the log of the cpanm run and output > > >>> of > > >>> perl -V.
> > >> > > >> You need to link against libxml2.so . Please install the libxml2-dev > > >> or libxml2-devel package or whatever and try again. Also note that > > >> perl-5.14.2 was end-of-lifed and you should use perl-5.16.x or > > >> preferably perl-5.18.x instead.
> > > > > > Thanx for the reply. > > > > > > Installed already: > > > ron@zigzag:~$ sudo aptitude search libxml2 > > > [sudo] password for ron: > > > v libglobus-libxml2 > > > v libglobus-libxml2-dev > > > i A libxml2 > > > p libxml2-dbg > > > i libxml2-dev > > > p libxml2-doc > > > i A libxml2-utils > > > p libxml2-utils-dbg > > > i A python-libxml2 > > > p python-libxml2-dbg > > > v python2.6-libxml2 > > > v python2.6-libxml2-dbg > > > v python2.7-libxml2 > > > v python2.7-libxml2-dbg > > > > > > perlbrew says V 5.18./2/ is not yet available, and it's my policy to > > > wait for a *.2. But don't worry, I am aware of this issue. > > >
> > >> Regards, > > >> > > >> -- Shlomi Fish > > >>
> > >
> >
Subject: Re: [rt.cpan.org #89540] undefined symbol: xmlMemMalloc
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 08:25:33 +1100
To: bug-XML-LibXML [...] rt.cpan.org
From: Ron Savage <ron [...] savage.net.au>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 2.7k
Hi All On 22/10/13 05:04, Slaven_Rezic via RT wrote: Show quoted text
> <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=89540 > > > On 2013-10-21 11:42:48, SHLOMIF wrote:
>> Hi Ron, >> >> On Mon Oct 21 02:02:53 2013, ron@savage.net.au wrote:
>>> Hi All >>> >>> Brute force worked: >>> >>> sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.so /usr/lib >>>
>> >> Can I close the bug then? >>
> > No. Nothing is resolved yet, that above is just an ugly hack. > > What about the strange contradicting messages in Makefile.PL regarding the libxml2 detection? Maybe it's related somehow?
I'd sure like to know why the lib isn't found when needed. Does the make file need to be tweaked? And perhaps an FAQ item needs to be added to the docs for us Debian 7.2 users? Show quoted text
> Regards, > Slaven >
>> Regards, >> >> -- Shlomi Fish >>
>>> On 18/10/13 16:32, ron@savage.net.au via RT wrote:
>>>> <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=89540 > >>>> >>>> Hi Shlomi >>>> >>>> On 17/10/13 03:46, Shlomi Fish via RT wrote:
>>>>> <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=89540 > >>>>> >>>>> Hello RSAVAGE, >>>>> >>>>> On Tue Oct 15 19:11:16 2013, RSAVAGE wrote:
>>>>>> cpanm XML::LibXML fails with >>>>>> Can't load '/home/ron/.cpanm/work/1381878351.13605/XML-LibXML- >>>>>> 2.0106/blib/arch/auto/XML/LibXML/LibXML.so' for module XML::LibXML: >>>>>> /home/ron/.cpanm/work/1381878351.13605/XML-LibXML- >>>>>> 2.0106/blib/arch/auto/XML/LibXML/LibXML.so: undefined symbol: >>>>>> xmlMemMalloc at /home/ron/perl5/perlbrew/perls/perl- >>>>>> 5.14.2/lib/5.14.2/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/DynaLoader.pm line 190. >>>>>> at /home/ron/.cpanm/work/1381878351.13605/XML-LibXML- >>>>>> 2.0106/blib/lib/XML/LibXML.pm line 154. >>>>>> >>>>>> See attached files, which are the log of the cpanm run and output >>>>>> of >>>>>> perl -V.
>>>>> >>>>> You need to link against libxml2.so . Please install the libxml2-dev >>>>> or libxml2-devel package or whatever and try again. Also note that >>>>> perl-5.14.2 was end-of-lifed and you should use perl-5.16.x or >>>>> preferably perl-5.18.x instead.
>>>> >>>> Thanx for the reply. >>>> >>>> Installed already: >>>> ron@zigzag:~$ sudo aptitude search libxml2 >>>> [sudo] password for ron: >>>> v libglobus-libxml2 >>>> v libglobus-libxml2-dev >>>> i A libxml2 >>>> p libxml2-dbg >>>> i libxml2-dev >>>> p libxml2-doc >>>> i A libxml2-utils >>>> p libxml2-utils-dbg >>>> i A python-libxml2 >>>> p python-libxml2-dbg >>>> v python2.6-libxml2 >>>> v python2.6-libxml2-dbg >>>> v python2.7-libxml2 >>>> v python2.7-libxml2-dbg >>>> >>>> perlbrew says V 5.18./2/ is not yet available, and it's my policy to >>>> wait for a *.2. But don't worry, I am aware of this issue. >>>>
>>>>> Regards, >>>>> >>>>> -- Shlomi Fish >>>>>
>>>>
>> >>
> > >
-- Ron Savage http://savage.net.au/
From: arc [...] cpan.org
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 640b
On Mon Oct 21 17:26:08 2013, ron@savage.net.au wrote: Show quoted text
> On 22/10/13 05:04, Slaven_Rezic via RT wrote:
> > What about the strange contradicting messages in Makefile.PL > > regarding the libxml2 detection? Maybe it's related somehow?
> > I'd sure like to know why the lib isn't found when needed.
I'm wondering whether Debian/Ubuntu's multiarch support is triggering the problem — perhaps the Makefile.PL finds the 64-bit library, but tries to link against the 32-bit version, or something like that? I'm afraid I can't investigate this myself, but maybe this message will help someone else track down the real problem. -- Aaron Crane
From: Brandon McCaig <bamccaig [...] gmail.com>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 811b
Shlomi: Hello, On Mon Oct 21 11:42:48 2013, SHLOMIF wrote: Show quoted text
> Can I close the bug then?
Sorry to drudge this up, but I'm attempting to install XML::LibXSLT::Easy on my Web server (which is amd64) and running into this issue too. Which surprised me because I had no problem installing it locally... But turns out the local OS is i686. Both systems are Debian stable (wheezy). It doesn't look like any resolution was ever reached. I'm hoping to make use of these modules for my Web site so I'd like to try to resolve the problem. Hopefully without resorting to the symlink hack above. Do you have any updated insight into what is causing this or does anybody know of a non-hack fix or workaround? Thanks for any help. Hopefully after I've slept I'll be able to think of an acceptable way to get past this... :-/
Subject: Re: [rt.cpan.org #89540] undefined symbol: xmlMemMalloc
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 16:56:31 +1100
To: bug-XML-LibXML [...] rt.cpan.org
From: Ron Savage <ron [...] savage.net.au>
Hi I think was meant to go to Shlomi, not me! On 05/11/14 15:40, https://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id?id=AItOawnoKzLTtwYk6wgVbNckZPo8Xz1QX_v1U8A via RT wrote: Show quoted text
> <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=89540 > > > Shlomi: > > Hello, > > On Mon Oct 21 11:42:48 2013, SHLOMIF wrote:
>> Can I close the bug then?
> > Sorry to drudge this up, but I'm attempting to install XML::LibXSLT::Easy on my Web server (which is amd64) and running into this issue too. Which surprised me because I had no problem installing it locally... But turns out the local OS is i686. Both systems are Debian stable (wheezy). It doesn't look like any resolution was ever reached. I'm hoping to make use of these modules for my Web site so I'd like to try to resolve the problem. Hopefully without resorting to the symlink hack above. Do you have any updated insight into what is causing this or does anybody know of a non-hack fix or workaround? Thanks for any help. Hopefully after I've slept I'll be able to think of an acceptable way to get past this... :-/ >
-- Ron Savage - savage.net.au
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 1.2k
On Wed Nov 05 00:54:33 2014, ron@savage.net.au wrote: Show quoted text
> Hi > > I think was meant to go to Shlomi, not me! >
Ron, it did go to me. It's just that you are subscribed on every message of this bug. Regards, -- Shlomi Fish Show quoted text
> On 05/11/14 15:40, > https://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id?id=AItOawnoKzLTtwYk6wgVbNckZPo8Xz1QX_v1U8A > via RT wrote:
> > <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=89540 > > > > > Shlomi: > > > > Hello, > > > > On Mon Oct 21 11:42:48 2013, SHLOMIF wrote:
> >> Can I close the bug then?
> > > > Sorry to drudge this up, but I'm attempting to install > > XML::LibXSLT::Easy on my Web server (which is amd64) and running into > > this issue too. Which surprised me because I had no problem > > installing it locally... But turns out the local OS is i686. Both > > systems are Debian stable (wheezy). It doesn't look like any > > resolution was ever reached. I'm hoping to make use of these modules > > for my Web site so I'd like to try to resolve the problem. Hopefully > > without resorting to the symlink hack above. Do you have any updated > > insight into what is causing this or does anybody know of a non-hack > > fix or workaround? Thanks for any help. Hopefully after I've slept > > I'll be able to think of an acceptable way to get past this... :-/ > >
Subject: [rt.cpan.org #89540] Re: undefined symbol: xmlMemMalloc
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 17:59:08 -0500
To: bug-XML-LibXML [...] rt.cpan.org
From: Brandon McCaig <bamccaig [...] gmail.com>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 1.2k
Shlomi: Apologies, but it appears that this is still broken in Debian, and I think I see why now... I attempted to report it to the Debian distribution, but either something goofed or they deleted it without correspondence. In any case, I appear to have found an old bug report on the topic: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=689168 According to that bug (dated 2012) it looks like the Debian package maintainer either doesn't understand the purpose of xml2-config or doesn't think it should be used as linker flags... It doesn't quite make sense to me, but it is what it is for now. Do you think it could be possible to patch XML::LibXML to use pkg-config on Debian (and/or maybe try both xml2-config and pkg-config to figure out which one works?) to possibly get this working for Debian users without user hacks? I might even be motivated to help out with it as time allows since I am running Debian and have a strong interest in using this and related modules on my Web site. Let me know your ideas, Shlomi. Thanks. Regards, -- Brandon McCaig <bamccaig@gmail.com> <bamccaig@castopulence.org> Castopulence Software <https://www.castopulence.org/> Blog <http://www.bambams.ca/> perl -E '$_=q{V zrna gur orfg jvgu jung V fnl. }. q{Vg qbrfa'\''g nyjnlf fbhaq gung jnl.}; tr/A-Ma-mN-Zn-z/N-Zn-zA-Ma-m/;say'
Subject: Re: [rt.cpan.org #89540] Re: undefined symbol: xmlMemMalloc
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2015 11:55:56 +1100
To: bug-XML-LibXML [...] rt.cpan.org
From: Ron Savage <ron [...] savage.net.au>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 1.4k
Hi Brandon I too run Debian. And which finds both xml2-config and pkg-config. I have V 2.0117 installed, and cpanm had no trouble just now installing V 2.0118. I run stable, not testing, so I'm wondering how to identify the circumstances triggering your issue. On 07/02/15 09:59, Brandon McCaig via RT wrote: Show quoted text
> <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=89540 > > > Shlomi: > > Apologies, but it appears that this is still broken in Debian, and I > think I see why now... I attempted to report it to the Debian > distribution, but either something goofed or they deleted it without > correspondence. In any case, I appear to have found an old bug report > on the topic: > > https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=689168 > > According to that bug (dated 2012) it looks like the Debian package > maintainer either doesn't understand the purpose of xml2-config or > doesn't think it should be used as linker flags... It doesn't quite > make sense to me, but it is what it is for now. > > Do you think it could be possible to patch XML::LibXML to use > pkg-config on Debian (and/or maybe try both xml2-config and pkg-config > to figure out which one works?) to possibly get this working for > Debian users without user hacks? > > I might even be motivated to help out with it as time allows since I > am running Debian and have a strong interest in using this and related > modules on my Web site. Let me know your ideas, Shlomi. Thanks. > > Regards, > >
-- Ron Savage - savage.net.au
Subject: Re: [rt.cpan.org #89540] Re: undefined symbol: xmlMemMalloc
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 23:31:27 -0500
To: bug-XML-LibXML [...] rt.cpan.org
From: Brandon McCaig <bamccaig [...] gmail.com>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 2.8k
Ron: On Sat, Feb 07, 2015 at 11:55:56AM +1100, Ron Savage wrote: Show quoted text
> Hi Brandon
Hello, Show quoted text
> I too run Debian. And which finds both xml2-config and > pkg-config. > > I have V 2.0117 installed, and cpanm had no trouble just now > installing V 2.0118. > > I run stable, not testing, so I'm wondering how to identify the > circumstances triggering your issue.
I'm running stable (wheezy) as well, but my system is multiarch. It's a 64-bit host, but it also has 32-bit software installed. That is important for this to affect you. I can find both xml2-config and pkg-config, but neither one reveals where to find libxml2.so et. al. $ /usr/bin/xml2-config --cflags --libs -I/usr/include/libxml2 -L/usr/lib -lxml2 $ /usr/bin/pkg-config --cflags --libs libxml-2.0 -I/usr/include/libxml2 -lxml2 $ find /usr -name 'libxml*' /usr/share/doc/libxml-xpathengine-perl /usr/share/doc/libxml2 /usr/share/doc/libxml-twig-perl /usr/share/doc/libxml2-utils /usr/share/doc/libxml-parser-perl /usr/share/doc/libxml2-dev /usr/share/man/man3/libxml.3.gz /usr/share/lintian/overrides/libxml2 /usr/share/aclocal/libxml2.m4 /usr/share/doc-base/libxml-parser-perl /usr/include/libxml2 /usr/include/libxml2/libxml /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.so /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pkgconfig/libxml-2.0.pc /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.a /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.so.2.8.0 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.so.2 Note that libxml2.a and libxml2.so* are installed into /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu in a Debian multiarch system (or at least mine). xml2-config appears to think they are in /usr/lib/ and pkg-config (I see now) doesn't output any library directory options at all... Thinking about it I would have expected /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ to be in the default linker path though... I'm a little confused at the moment, but I'll blame lack of sleep. I know that XML::LibXML and family build and installs fine in a 32-bit Debian system (or did the last time I tried, which was no more than 6 months ago).. $ cpanm XML::LibXML --> Working on XML::LibXML Fetching http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/S/SH/SHLOMIF/XML-LibXML-2.0118.tar.gz ... OK Configuring XML-LibXML-2.0118 ... OK Building and testing XML-LibXML-2.0118 ... FAIL ! Installing XML::LibXML failed. See /home/bambams/.cpanm/build.log for details. I have attached ~/.cpanm/build.log for reference. Honestly I'm having trouble figuring it out the more I try... I know it's related to the multiarch environment, or at least a 64-bit host, because it does (or at least had) work fine in 32-bit Debians while failing consistently in 64-bit... Regards, -- Brandon McCaig <bamccaig@gmail.com> <bamccaig@castopulence.org> Castopulence Software <https://www.castopulence.org/> Blog <http://www.bambams.ca/> perl -E '$_=q{V zrna gur orfg jvgu jung V fnl. }. q{Vg qbrfa'\''g nyjnlf fbhaq gung jnl.}; tr/A-Ma-mN-Zn-z/N-Zn-zA-Ma-m/;say'
Download build.log
text/plain 75.7k

Message body is not shown because sender requested not to inline it.

Download signature.asc
application/pgp-signature 836b

Message body not shown because it is not plain text.

Subject: Re: [rt.cpan.org #89540] Re: undefined symbol: xmlMemMalloc
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2015 11:25:19 +1100
To: bug-XML-LibXML [...] rt.cpan.org
From: Ron Savage <ron [...] savage.net.au>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 4.6k
Hi Brandon On 07/02/15 15:31, Brandon McCaig via RT wrote: Show quoted text
> <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=89540 > > > Ron: > > On Sat, Feb 07, 2015 at 11:55:56AM +1100, Ron Savage wrote:
>> Hi Brandon
> > Hello, >
>> I too run Debian. And which finds both xml2-config and >> pkg-config. >> >> I have V 2.0117 installed, and cpanm had no trouble just now >> installing V 2.0118. >> >> I run stable, not testing, so I'm wondering how to identify the >> circumstances triggering your issue.
> > I'm running stable (wheezy) as well, but my system is multiarch. > It's a 64-bit host, but it also has 32-bit software installed.
Mine is a 64-bit setup. uname -a gives: Linux zigzag 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.63-2+deb7u2 x86_64 GNU/Linux I do not think I have any 32-bit software installed. Show quoted text
> That is important for this to affect you. I can find both > xml2-config and pkg-config, but neither one reveals where to find > libxml2.so et. al. > > $ /usr/bin/xml2-config --cflags --libs > -I/usr/include/libxml2 > -L/usr/lib -lxml2
-I/usr/include/libxml2 -L/usr/lib -lxml2 Show quoted text
> $ /usr/bin/pkg-config --cflags --libs libxml-2.0 > -I/usr/include/libxml2 -lxml2
-I/usr/include/libxml2 -lxml2 Show quoted text
> $ find /usr -name 'libxml*' > /usr/share/doc/libxml-xpathengine-perl > /usr/share/doc/libxml2 > /usr/share/doc/libxml-twig-perl > /usr/share/doc/libxml2-utils > /usr/share/doc/libxml-parser-perl > /usr/share/doc/libxml2-dev > /usr/share/man/man3/libxml.3.gz > /usr/share/lintian/overrides/libxml2 > /usr/share/aclocal/libxml2.m4 > /usr/share/doc-base/libxml-parser-perl > /usr/include/libxml2 > /usr/include/libxml2/libxml > /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.so > /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pkgconfig/libxml-2.0.pc > /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.a > /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.so.2.8.0 > /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.so.2
/usr/include/libxml2 /usr/include/libxml2/libxml /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/libxml2.py /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/libxml2.pyc /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/libxml2mod.so /usr/lib/girepository-1.0/libxml2-2.0.typelib /usr/lib/libreoffice/program/libxmlfalo.so /usr/lib/libreoffice/program/libxmlfdlo.so /usr/lib/libreoffice/program/libxmlsecurity.so /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/libxml2.py /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/libxml2.pyc /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/libxml2mod.so /usr/lib/pyshared/python2.7/libxml2mod.so /usr/lib/pyshared/python2.6/libxml2mod.so /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.so.2 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pkgconfig/libxml-2.0.pc /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.a /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.so /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.so.2.8.0 /usr/lib/ure/lib/libxmlreader.so /usr/share/pyshared/libxml2.py /usr/share/doc-base/libxml-parser-perl /usr/share/aclocal/libxml2.m4 /usr/share/vala-0.16/vapi/libxml-2.0.vapi /usr/share/lintian/overrides/libxml2 /usr/share/man/man3/libxml.3.gz /usr/share/doc/libxml2-dev /usr/share/doc/libxml2 /usr/share/doc/libxml-commons-external-java /usr/share/doc/libxml-twig-perl find: `/usr/share/doc/google-chrome-stable': Permission denied /usr/share/doc/libxml-xpathengine-perl /usr/share/doc/libxml2-utils /usr/share/doc/libxml-parser-perl /usr/share/doc/libxml-commons-resolver1.1-java Show quoted text
> Note that libxml2.a and libxml2.so* are installed into > /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu in a Debian multiarch system (or at
Same here. Show quoted text
> least mine). xml2-config appears to think they are in /usr/lib/ > and pkg-config (I see now) doesn't output any library directory > options at all... > > Thinking about it I would have expected > /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ to be in the default linker path > though... I'm a little confused at the moment, but I'll blame > lack of sleep. > > I know that XML::LibXML and family build and installs fine in a > 32-bit Debian system (or did the last time I tried, which was no > more than 6 months ago).. > > $ cpanm XML::LibXML > --> Working on XML::LibXML > Fetching http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/S/SH/SHLOMIF/XML-LibXML-2.0118.tar.gz ... OK > Configuring XML-LibXML-2.0118 ... OK > Building and testing XML-LibXML-2.0118 ... FAIL > ! Installing XML::LibXML failed. See /home/bambams/.cpanm/build.log for details. > > I have attached ~/.cpanm/build.log for reference. Honestly I'm > having trouble figuring it out the more I try... I know it's > related to the multiarch environment, or at least a 64-bit host, > because it does (or at least had) work fine in 32-bit Debians > while failing consistently in 64-bit...
Show quoted text
shell> cpanm -f XML::LibXML
--> Working on XML::LibXML Fetching http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/S/SH/SHLOMIF/XML-LibXML-2.0118.tar.gz ... OK Configuring XML-LibXML-2.0118 ... OK Building and testing XML-LibXML-2.0118 ... OK Successfully reinstalled XML-LibXML-2.0118 1 distribution installed Log attached. -- Ron Savage - savage.net.au
Download build.log
text/x-log 13k

Message body is not shown because sender requested not to inline it.

Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 1.9k
I ran into this as well today. Unfortunately I do not have the leisure to get to the bottom of it but I want to at least paste the relevant conversation from IRC since there are a couple promising hints from Leon in there that I haven’t seen here yet: 10:22 * aristotle is currently fighting with RT #89540 10:22 <aristotle> (cf. RT #81291 as well) 10:25 <leont> First thought: "I wonder if LibList is at fault" 10:25 <leont> Well, it is surely involved, question is if it is the buggy part 10:26 <leont> The "Warning (mostly harmless): No library found for -lxml2" is LL deciding the library doesn't exist, but given that xml2-config has already decided it does exist it must be wrong 10:28 <aristotle> any ideas how to debug? 10:31 <leont> The printf method on ExtUtils::LibList::Kid may be the easiest :-/ 10:33 <leont> perl -V:libpth may be enlightening too 10:35 <aristotle> doesn’t list /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu which is where libxml2.so hangs out 10:36 <leont> You need a -L$path in the LIBS 10:37 <leont> e.g. LIBS => [ "-L$path -lxml "] 10:39 <leont> In theory, line 780 of the Makefile.PL should take care of that 10:39 <leont> printing the value of $config->{LIBS} after that should give a lot of information 10:45 <aristotle> what is $path in -L$path … and at that point I bruteforced it with the symlink as given above and ran into something else and basically ran out of time to pursue this further. 11:25 <aristotle> one thing that comes to mind now is 11:27 <aristotle> this perl was built on a much earlier Debian, either 6/squeeze or possibly as far back as 5/lenny 11:27 <aristotle> (I upgraded the machine to Debian 8 recently) 11:28 <aristotle> maybe there was no /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu at the time … in which case this is the relevant hint: 11:07 <leont> The crude fix is to hand-edit the value for libpth in Config_heavy … and that is also what worked around the problem for me for now. That’s about as much as I can contribute. Hope it helps.


This service is sponsored and maintained by Best Practical Solutions and runs on Perl.org infrastructure.

Please report any issues with rt.cpan.org to rt-cpan-admin@bestpractical.com.