Skip Menu |
 

This queue is for tickets about the Apache-Test CPAN distribution.

Report information
The Basics
Id: 87620
Status: resolved
Priority: 0/
Queue: Apache-Test

People
Owner: Nobody in particular
Requestors: mschout [...] gkg.net
Cc:
AdminCc:

Bug Information
Severity: (no value)
Broken in: (no value)
Fixed in: (no value)

Attachments


Subject: PATCH: add -D APACHE24 if running under httpd 2.4
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 10:36:02 -0500
To: bug-apache-test [...] rt.cpan.org, phred [...] cpan.org
From: Michael Schout <mschout [...] gkg.net>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 822b
I'm the maintainer of Apache::AuthCookie. As you probably already know, the authentication API in httpd 2.4 has changed radically. As a result, for authentication modules that need to support httpd 2.x as well as 2.4, there is a need to have a conditional define to determine if we are running under Apache 2.4 or later. The attached patch adds -D APACHE24 (this is in addition to -D APACHE2) if running under httpd 2.4. Example of why this is needed: <IfDefine APACHE24> PerlAddAuthzProvider user My::Auth->authz </IfDefine> # and since this makes PerlAuthzHandler pointless in httpd 2.4: <IfDefine APACHE2> ... <IfDefine !APACHE24> PerlAuthzHandler .... </IfDefine> </IfDefine> I'd really like to see this make it into Apache::Test for the official httpd 2.4 support release. Thanks! Michael Schout

Message body is not shown because sender requested not to inline it.

On Mon Aug 05 11:36:30 2013, mschout@gkg.net wrote: Show quoted text
> I'm the maintainer of Apache::AuthCookie. As you probably already know, > the authentication API in httpd 2.4 has changed radically. As a result, > for authentication modules that need to support httpd 2.x as well as > 2.4, there is a need to have a conditional define to determine if we are > running under Apache 2.4 or later. > > The attached patch adds -D APACHE24 (this is in addition to -D APACHE2) > if running under httpd 2.4. >
Thanks for the patch. It looks good at a quick glance except for one thing that troubles me; I don't know if it's really a big problem. We currently set -D APACHE2 for httpd-2, and when httpd-3 arrives that will automatically become -D APACHE3. But your new code will set -D APACHE24 not only for httpd-2.4, but also for httpd-2.5 and httpd-2.6 etc, if they should ever appear. I don't know how likely that is, but would it be better to only set it for httpd-2.4, or else give it a slightly different name to reflect its different meaning compared to the APACHE2 define?
Subject: Re: [rt.cpan.org #87620] PATCH: add -D APACHE24 if running under httpd 2.4
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 09:41:32 -0500
To: bug-Apache-Test [...] rt.cpan.org
From: Michael Schout <mschout [...] gkg.net>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 1.8k
On 6/24/14, 3:19 AM, Steve Hay via RT wrote: Show quoted text
> But your new code will set -D APACHE24 not only for httpd-2.4, but > also for httpd-2.5 and httpd-2.6 etc, if they should ever appear. I > don't know how likely that is, but would it be better to only set it > for httpd-2.4, or else give it a slightly different name to reflect > its different meaning compared to the APACHE2 define?
I had these same thoughts. The only problem with that is if httpd 2.5 has the same auth api (and presumably it would), then I (and presumably other auth module writers) will have to duplicate some configuration. e.g.: <IfDefine APACHE24> PerlAddAuthzProvider user My::Auth->authz </IfDefine> <IfDefine APACHE25> PerlAddAuthzProvider user My::Auth->authz </IfDefine> ... repeat for every apache version >= 2.4 that is out there... But then we also need -DAPACHE20 and -DAPACHE22 etc so that those modules can be supported: <IfDefine APACHE22> PerlAuthzHandler My::Auth->authorization </IfDefine> <IfDefine APACHE20> PerlAuthzHandler My::Auth->authorization </IfDefine> But I can live with this. There are no comparison operators available in httpd.conf sadly. As for the name, if we ever get to Apache v20.x, then its perhaps a bit of a problem, and I had the same thought as you about that. Maybe use -DAPACHE2 -DAPACHE2_4 instead? I'm fine with that. If you want me to rework the patch, I'll do that, but it seems trivial enough that I don't think you need me to do that :). I would *REALLY* like to see this get applied and a release of Apache::Test happen soon. This is a showstopper for mod perl auth modules that need to support httpd 2.4 as well as 2.2 or earlier. Judging by the mod_perl lists, the a final release for httpd 2.4 is not far off. I'd love to have my Auth modules released to CPAN before the mod_perl final release. Regards, Michael Schout
Thanks for the patch. Now applied in revision 1617896.
Subject: Re: [rt.cpan.org #87620] PATCH: add -D APACHE24 if running under httpd 2.4
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2014 09:44:50 -0500
To: bug-Apache-Test [...] rt.cpan.org
From: Michael Schout <mschout [...] gkg.net>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 248b
On 8/14/14 3:21 AM, Steve Hay via RT wrote: Show quoted text
> <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=87620 > > > Thanks for the patch. Now applied in revision 1617896.
Any chance a release can be pushed to CPAN with this fix? Regards, Michael Schout
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 345b
On Thu Oct 09 10:45:02 2014, mschout@gkg.net wrote: Show quoted text
> On 8/14/14 3:21 AM, Steve Hay via RT wrote:
> > <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=87620 > > > > > Thanks for the patch. Now applied in revision 1617896.
> > Any chance a release can be pushed to CPAN with this fix? >
This is now - finally! - on CPAN, in Apache-Test 1.39.
Subject: Re: [rt.cpan.org #87620] PATCH: add -D APACHE24 if running under httpd 2.4
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 08:38:18 -0700
To: bug-Apache-Test [...] rt.cpan.org
From: Fred Moyer <fred [...] redhotpenguin.com>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 606b
Woot! Eagerly awaiting the announcement on the modperl list. On Apr 22, 2015 12:25 AM, "Steve Hay via RT" <bug-Apache-Test@rt.cpan.org> wrote: Show quoted text
> Queue: Apache-Test > Ticket <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=87620 > > > On Thu Oct 09 10:45:02 2014, mschout@gkg.net wrote:
> > On 8/14/14 3:21 AM, Steve Hay via RT wrote:
> > > <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=87620 > > > > > > > Thanks for the patch. Now applied in revision 1617896.
> > > > Any chance a release can be pushed to CPAN with this fix? > >
> > This is now - finally! - on CPAN, in Apache-Test 1.39. > >


This service is sponsored and maintained by Best Practical Solutions and runs on Perl.org infrastructure.

Please report any issues with rt.cpan.org to rt-cpan-admin@bestpractical.com.