Skip Menu |
 

This queue is for tickets about the XML-LibXML CPAN distribution.

Report information
The Basics
Id: 77943
Status: resolved
Priority: 0/
Queue: XML-LibXML

People
Owner: Nobody in particular
Requestors: mmann [...] otmltd.com
Cc:
AdminCc:

Bug Information
Severity: (no value)
Broken in: 2.0001
Fixed in: (no value)



Subject: Tests running against wrong version
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 2.6k
This probably something daft from my end but all help appreciated :-) I'm installing your new version of XML-LibXML-2.0001 (cheers for the prompt tweak on the previous 'bug' by the way) which runs the perl Makefile and make fine but falls over on every test during make test... Perl Version: 5.8.8 Operating System: AIX 6.1 TL6 SP2 Related Software: zlib-1.2.5-3.aix6.1.ppc.rpm libpng-1.5.4-4.aix6.1.ppc.rpm gettext-0.17-7.aix6.1.ppc.rpm libiconv-1.13.1-3.aix6.1.ppc.rpm libxml2-2.7.8-3.aix6.1.ppc.rpm pkg-config-0.25-3.aix6.1.ppc.rpm zlib-devel-1.2.5-3.aix6.1.ppc.rpm libxml2-devel-2.7.8-3.aix6.1.ppc.rpm (I suspect installing the last three might be associated with the issue) All tests return something in the form; S_SCUDA_903:/usr/src/XML-LibXML-2.0001> make test PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/bin/perl "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "- e" "test_harness(0, 'blib/lib', 'blib/arch')" t/*.t t/01basic.t ......................... Can't load '/usr/src/XML-LibXML- 2.0001/blib/arch/auto/XML/LibXML/LibXML.so' for module XML::LibXML: 0509-130 Symbol resolution failed for /usr/src/XML- LibXML-2.0001/blib/arch/auto/XML/LibXML/LibXML.so because: 0509-136 Symbol xmlXPathCompiledEvalToBoolean (number 198) is not exported from dependent module /usr/lib/libxml2.a(libxml2.so.2). 0509-022 Cannot load module /usr/src/XML-LibXML- 2.0001/blib/arch/auto/XML/LibXML/LibXML.so. 0509-026 System error: Cannot run a file that does not have a valid format. 0509-192 Examine .loader section symbols with the 'dump -Tv' command. at /usr/opt/perl5/lib/5.8.8/aix- thread-multi/DynaLoader.pm line 230. at /usr/opt/perl5/lib/5.8.8/aix-thread-multi/DynaLoader.pm line 154 BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/src/XML-LibXML- 2.0001/blib/lib/XML/LibXML.pm line 154. Compilation failed in require at t/01basic.t line 6. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at t/01basic.t line 6. # Looks like your test exited with 8 before it could output anything. t/01basic.t ......................... Dubious, test returned 8 (wstat 2048, 0x800) Failed 3/3 subtests I have checked the Makefile and it is correctly referencing the up to date libxml2 location; INC = -I/opt/freeware/include/libxml2 # LIBS => q[-L/opt/freeware/lib -lxml2 -lz -lpthread -liconv -lm] EXTRALIBS = -L/opt/freeware/lib -lxml2 -lz -lpthread -liconv (I tried it with the command line override to be sure but got the same results XMLPREFIX=/opt/freeware) alas each test is trying to use /usr/lib/libxml2.a instead of /opt/freeware/lib/libxml2.a Hopefully it's something really obvious I'm doing wrong Cheers in advance Martin
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 3.4k
Hi Martin, On Thu Jun 21 06:02:15 2012, mmann@otmltd.com wrote: Show quoted text
> This probably something daft from my end but all help appreciated :-) > > I'm installing your new version of XML-LibXML-2.0001 (cheers for the > prompt tweak on the previous 'bug' by the way) which runs the perl > Makefile and make fine but falls over on every test during make test... > > Perl Version: 5.8.8
5.8.x is very old by now - there's already 5.16.x. Why are you using such an old version? (I think XML-LibXML still supports it, but I don't feel too motivated to do so myself). Show quoted text
> Operating System: AIX 6.1 TL6 SP2
Fear and loathing! A friend of mine once said that “HP/UX is not UNIX and AIX is even less than that.” When I mentioned that on Freenode's #perl channel, someone told me “Wait! I thought I came up with that.” I don't feel too motivated to deal with such proprietary and poor quality UNIX-like systems. BTW, there's already AIX 7.1. Show quoted text
> Related Software: > > zlib-1.2.5-3.aix6.1.ppc.rpm > libpng-1.5.4-4.aix6.1.ppc.rpm > gettext-0.17-7.aix6.1.ppc.rpm > libiconv-1.13.1-3.aix6.1.ppc.rpm > libxml2-2.7.8-3.aix6.1.ppc.rpm > > pkg-config-0.25-3.aix6.1.ppc.rpm > zlib-devel-1.2.5-3.aix6.1.ppc.rpm > libxml2-devel-2.7.8-3.aix6.1.ppc.rpm >
These look fine. Show quoted text
> (I suspect installing the last three might be associated with the issue) > > All tests return something in the form; > > S_SCUDA_903:/usr/src/XML-LibXML-2.0001> make test > PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/bin/perl "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "- > e" "test_harness(0, 'blib/lib', 'blib/arch')" t/*.t > t/01basic.t ......................... Can't load '/usr/src/XML-LibXML- > 2.0001/blib/arch/auto/XML/LibXML/LibXML.so' for module > XML::LibXML: 0509-130 Symbol resolution failed for /usr/src/XML- > LibXML-2.0001/blib/arch/auto/XML/LibXML/LibXML.so because: > 0509-136 Symbol xmlXPathCompiledEvalToBoolean (number 198) is > not exported from > dependent module /usr/lib/libxml2.a(libxml2.so.2).
Perhaps libxml2 was built without XPath support, while XML::LibXML is expecting it. Show quoted text
> 0509-022 Cannot load module /usr/src/XML-LibXML- > 2.0001/blib/arch/auto/XML/LibXML/LibXML.so. > 0509-026 System error: Cannot run a file that does not have a > valid format. > 0509-192 Examine .loader section symbols with the > 'dump -Tv' command. at /usr/opt/perl5/lib/5.8.8/aix- > thread-multi/DynaLoader.pm line 230. > at /usr/opt/perl5/lib/5.8.8/aix-thread-multi/DynaLoader.pm line 154 > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/src/XML-LibXML- > 2.0001/blib/lib/XML/LibXML.pm line 154. > Compilation failed in require at t/01basic.t line 6. > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at t/01basic.t line 6. > # Looks like your test exited with 8 before it could output anything. > t/01basic.t ......................... Dubious, test returned 8 (wstat > 2048, 0x800) > Failed 3/3 subtests > > I have checked the Makefile and it is correctly referencing the up to > date libxml2 location; > > INC = -I/opt/freeware/include/libxml2 > # LIBS => q[-L/opt/freeware/lib -lxml2 -lz -lpthread -liconv -lm] > EXTRALIBS = -L/opt/freeware/lib -lxml2 -lz -lpthread -liconv > > (I tried it with the command line override to be sure but got the same > results XMLPREFIX=/opt/freeware) alas each test is trying to > use /usr/lib/libxml2.a instead of /opt/freeware/lib/libxml2.a > > Hopefully it's something really obvious I'm doing wrong >
Maybe try setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH . Regards, -- Shlomi Fish
From: mmann [...] otmltd.com
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 1.3k
On Thu Jun 21 08:27:15 2012, SHLOMIF wrote: Show quoted text
> Hi Martin, >
> > > > Perl Version: 5.8.8
> > 5.8.x is very old by now - there's already 5.16.x. Why are you using > such an old version? (I think XML-LibXML still supports it, but I
don't Show quoted text
> feel too motivated to do so myself).
Yeah alas thats the version that comes with AIX 6.1 (see below). Yes we can look at upgrading that but thats a big can of worms. Arguably worth the effort but a huge amount of retesting of perl scripts on production servers. Show quoted text
>
> > Operating System: AIX 6.1 TL6 SP2
> > Fear and loathing! A friend of mine once said that “HP/UX is not UNIX > and AIX is even less than that.” When I mentioned that on Freenode's > #perl channel, someone told me “Wait! I thought I came up with that.”
I Show quoted text
> don't feel too motivated to deal with such proprietary and poor
quality Show quoted text
> UNIX-like systems. > > BTW, there's already AIX 7.1.
Yep alas AIX 7.1 is not supported for Power 4 servers (ode for a hardware upgrade ;p). We're tied to AIX due to the core production software we are using though there are rumours of a windows version (not sure thats an improvement ;p) Show quoted text
> > Perhaps libxml2 was built without XPath support, while XML::LibXML is > expecting it. > > > Maybe try setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH . > > Regards, > > -- Shlomi Fish
I'll check these out, cheers for your help (especially under the sub optimal circumstances ;p) Martin
From: mmann [...] otmltd.com
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 308b
On Thu Jun 21 09:07:25 2012, mmann@otmltd.com wrote: Show quoted text
> > Maybe try setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH . > > > > Regards, > > > > -- Shlomi Fish
Your a star, LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/opt/freeware/lib" solved everything, all tests ran to either OK or skipped as expected :-) Cheers for your help, much appreciated Martin
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 754b
Hi Martin, On Thu Jun 21 09:30:59 2012, mmann@otmltd.com wrote: Show quoted text
> On Thu Jun 21 09:07:25 2012, mmann@otmltd.com wrote:
> > > Maybe try setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH . > > > > > > Regards, > > > > > > -- Shlomi Fish
> > Your a star, LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/opt/freeware/lib" solved everything, all > tests ran to either OK or skipped as expected :-) >
I'm glad to hear it. I think I can now apply for my "AIX Master/Ninja/Rockstar/Pirate/Jedi/Guru" certificate. Not sure I'll be proud of getting it, though. Show quoted text
> Cheers for your help, much appreciated
You're welcome. Note that you'll need to have this environment variable set when using XML::LibXML from now on, so put it in somewhere permanent. Anyway, I'm resolving this ticket. Regards, -- Shlomi Fish


This service is sponsored and maintained by Best Practical Solutions and runs on Perl.org infrastructure.

Please report any issues with rt.cpan.org to rt-cpan-admin@bestpractical.com.