Preferred bug tracker

Please visit the preferred bug tracker to report your issue.

This queue is for tickets about the Perl-Dist-Strawberry CPAN distribution.

Report information
The Basics
Id:
74259
Status:
resolved
Priority:
Low/Low

People
Owner:
Nobody in particular
Requestors:
willi.weikum [...] googlemail.com
Cc:
AdminCc:

BugTracker
Severity:
(no value)
Broken in:
(no value)
Fixed in:
(no value)



Subject: strawberry-perl-5.14.2.0-64bit.msi
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 13:17:42 +0100
To: bug-Perl-Dist-Strawberry@rt.cpan.org
From: Willi Weikum <willi.weikum@googlemail.com>
Hi,

I tried to install the beta package strawberry-perl-5.14.2.0-64bit.msi but failed. CPAN installed complained about missing perl512.dll. First i tried to update my existing installation of 5.12.2 then tried to remove both installation and clean install but it did't helped. The error was allways the same. Now I moved to 5.12.3 which is working fine.
Could you please try 5.14.2.1 from http://strawberryperl.com/

--
kmx

Subject: [rt.cpan.org #74259] strawberry-perl-5.14.2.0-64bit.msi
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 10:40:52 +0100
To: bug-Perl-Dist-Strawberry@rt.cpan.org
From: Willi Weikum <willi.weikum@googlemail.com>
5.14.2.1 istalled without any errors but the installation is brocken.
First I tried to update my installation the msi package installed without errors perl -v started fine and displayed perl 5.12.2 but cpan started but failed with following error when you call <i module>:

The crash data is:

Problemsignatur:
  Problemereignisname: APPCRASH
  Anwendungsname: perl.exe
  Anwendungsversion: 0.0.0.0
  Anwendungszeitstempel: 4ecc19ef
  Fehlermodulname: perl512.dll
  Fehlermodulversion: 0.0.0.0
  Fehlermodulzeitstempel: 4dcff714
  Ausnahmecode: c0000005
  Ausnahmeoffset: 00000000000b52d5
  Betriebsystemversion: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4
  Gebietsschema-ID: 1031
  Zusatzinformation 1: 722e
  Zusatzinformation 2: 722e045be211e93d1f7ff7b00a916a1a
  Zusatzinformation 3: db7f
  Zusatzinformation 4: db7fe216ea465604d4b5ae737369b8d4

just wondering why perl512.dll is still in use...

Next I removed previous strawberry installation and installed strawberry-perl-5.14.2.1-64bit.msi. The istallation finished without errors again.
This time cpan client starts but displays following error wenn you call <i module>:

cpan> i Win32::guitest
Database was generated on Mon, 27 Feb 2012 09:10:18 GMT
Catching error: "install_driver(SQLite) failed: Can't load 'C:\\strawberry\\perl
\\site\\lib/auto/DBD/SQLite/SQLite.dll' for module DBD::SQLite: load_file:Das an
gegebene Modul wurde nicht gefunden at C:\\strawberry\\perl\\lib/DynaLoader.pm l
ine 190, <IN> line 1.\cJ at (eval 44) line 3\cJCompilation failed in require at
(eval 44) line 3, <IN> line 1.\cJPerhaps a required shared library or dll isn't
installed where expected\cJ at C:\\strawberry\\perl\\vendor\\lib/CPAN/SQLite/DBI
.pm line 78\cJ" at C:/strawberry/perl/lib/CPAN.pm line 392
        CPAN::shell() called at C:/strawberry/perl/lib/App/Cpan.pm line 295
        App::Cpan::_process_options('App::Cpan') called at C:/strawberry/perl/li
b/App/Cpan.pm line 364
        App::Cpan::run('App::Cpan') called at C:\strawberry\perl\bin\cpan.bat li
ne 21



On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 10:57 PM, kmx via RT <bug-Perl-Dist-Strawberry@rt.cpan.org> wrote:
Show quoted text
<URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=74259 >

Could you please try 5.14.2.1 from http://strawberryperl.com/

--
kmx


Subject: [rt.cpan.org #74259] strawberry-perl-5.14.2.0-64bit.msi
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 11:11:14 +0100
To: bug-Perl-Dist-Strawberry@rt.cpan.org
From: Willi Weikum <willi.weikum@googlemail.com>
The problem is caused by a c:\strawberry folder which exists even after deinstallation of strawberry. After the folder has been deleted strawberry 5.14.2.1 and cpan clients work fine.

Could you please check if the package can be changed in a was you can update the previous release. It's allways a pain to reinstall all the modules.

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 10:40 AM, Willi Weikum <willi.weikum@googlemail.com> wrote:
Show quoted text
5.14.2.1 istalled without any errors but the installation is brocken.
First I tried to update my installation the msi package installed without errors perl -v started fine and displayed perl 5.12.2 but cpan started but failed with following error when you call <i module>:

The crash data is:

Problemsignatur:
  Problemereignisname: APPCRASH
  Anwendungsname: perl.exe
  Anwendungsversion: 0.0.0.0
  Anwendungszeitstempel: 4ecc19ef
  Fehlermodulname: perl512.dll
  Fehlermodulversion: 0.0.0.0
  Fehlermodulzeitstempel: 4dcff714
  Ausnahmecode: c0000005
  Ausnahmeoffset: 00000000000b52d5
  Betriebsystemversion: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4
  Gebietsschema-ID: 1031
  Zusatzinformation 1: 722e
  Zusatzinformation 2: 722e045be211e93d1f7ff7b00a916a1a
  Zusatzinformation 3: db7f
  Zusatzinformation 4: db7fe216ea465604d4b5ae737369b8d4

just wondering why perl512.dll is still in use...

Next I removed previous strawberry installation and installed strawberry-perl-5.14.2.1-64bit.msi. The istallation finished without errors again.
This time cpan client starts but displays following error wenn you call <i module>:

cpan> i Win32::guitest
Database was generated on Mon, 27 Feb 2012 09:10:18 GMT
Catching error: "install_driver(SQLite) failed: Can't load 'C:\\strawberry\\perl
\\site\\lib/auto/DBD/SQLite/SQLite.dll' for module DBD::SQLite: load_file:Das an
gegebene Modul wurde nicht gefunden at C:\\strawberry\\perl\\lib/DynaLoader.pm l
ine 190, <IN> line 1.\cJ at (eval 44) line 3\cJCompilation failed in require at
(eval 44) line 3, <IN> line 1.\cJPerhaps a required shared library or dll isn't
installed where expected\cJ at C:\\strawberry\\perl\\vendor\\lib/CPAN/SQLite/DBI
.pm line 78\cJ" at C:/strawberry/perl/lib/CPAN.pm line 392
        CPAN::shell() called at C:/strawberry/perl/lib/App/Cpan.pm line 295
        App::Cpan::_process_options('App::Cpan') called at C:/strawberry/perl/li
b/App/Cpan.pm line 364
        App::Cpan::run('App::Cpan') called at C:\strawberry\perl\bin\cpan.bat li
ne 21



On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 10:57 PM, kmx via RT <bug-Perl-Dist-Strawberry@rt.cpan.org> wrote:
<URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=74259 >

Could you please try 5.14.2.1 from http://strawberryperl.com/

--
kmx



Sending the previous mail has failed. Please contact your admin, they can find more details in the logs.
Subject: Better handle MSI upgrading
Show quoted text
> Could you please check if the package can be changed in a was you can
> update the previous release. It's allways a pain to reinstall all the
> modules.

What should be possible is to upgrade 5.12.x to 5.12.y

If changing 5.12.x to 5.14.x it is necessary to reinstall all XS modules as they are simply not binary compatible.

Definitely upgrading part of MSI needs some improvements.

--
kmx

Subject: Re: [rt.cpan.org #74259] Better handle MSI upgrading
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2012 11:15:27 +0100
To: bug-Perl-Dist-Strawberry@rt.cpan.org
From: Willi Weikum <willi.weikum@googlemail.com>
Ok I understand. What do think about automatic deinstalltion of previous version the user is going to do a major update? I know it's possible to detect installed product versions via MSI.

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 12:00 PM, kmx via RT <bug-Perl-Dist-Strawberry@rt.cpan.org> wrote:
Show quoted text
<URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=74259 >

> Could you please check if the package can be changed in a was you can
> update the previous release. It's allways a pain to reinstall all the
> modules.

What should be possible is to upgrade 5.12.x to 5.12.y

If changing 5.12.x to 5.14.x it is necessary to reinstall all XS modules as
they are simply not binary compatible.

Definitely upgrading part of MSI needs some improvements.

--
kmx


On Sun Mar 04 05:15:37 2012, willi.weikum@googlemail.com wrote:
Show quoted text
> Ok I understand. What do think about automatic deinstalltion of
> previous  version the user is going to do a major update?
> I know it's possible to detect installed product versions via MSI.

In 5.16.x series I have fixed this, the MSi installer works like this:

1/ if you have too old version (5.14.x) already installed, installer shows error message saying "uninstall first" end exits (I was not able to properly manage automatic uninstall)

2/ if you have a version that can bu upgraded it is automatically uninstalled first - the "perl/site" directory is not deleted; then the new version is installed (modules previously installed into "perl/site" should work after this upgrade)

3/ If you choose to uninstall manually (via Control Panel)  it now correctly also deletes "perl/site" directory and the whole c:\strawberry dir.

4/ MSI's marked as "BETA" have intentionally disabled upgrade feature described in 2/ (as for betas it IMHO makes more troubles than added value)

Unfortunately this is not gonna work if you are upgrading from old buggy MSI's (e.g. 5.14.2.1)

After releasing 5.16.0.1 I am gonna close this RT.

Anyway thanks for your time spent on this issue.

--
kmx


This service runs on Request Tracker, is sponsored by The Perl Foundation, and maintained by Best Practical Solutions.

Please report any issues with rt.cpan.org to rt-cpan-admin@bestpractical.com.