Skip Menu |
 

This queue is for tickets about the Module-Build CPAN distribution.

Report information
The Basics
Id: 65650
Status: resolved
Priority: 0/
Queue: Module-Build

People
Owner: Nobody in particular
Requestors: steve [...] deefs.net
Cc:
AdminCc:

Bug Information
Severity: (no value)
Broken in: (no value)
Fixed in: (no value)



Subject: configure_requires overrides requires?
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 428b
I just upgraded to Module::Build 0.3624, and was given the prompt that Perl::OSType, Module::Metadata, and version were only needed during install, despite their being listed in the "requires" section as well. Needless to say, since I said "no" to two of the three prompts, Module::Build dies after installation saying that it can't find Perl::OSType. Is "configure_requires" overriding "requires", maybe? Thanks, Steve Simms
Subject: Re: [rt.cpan.org #65650] configure_requires overrides requires?
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 14:12:00 -0500
To: bug-Module-Build [...] rt.cpan.org
From: David Golden <dagolden [...] cpan.org>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 878b
On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 2:06 PM, Steve Simms via RT <bug-Module-Build@rt.cpan.org> wrote: Show quoted text
> I just upgraded to Module::Build 0.3624, and was given the prompt that > Perl::OSType, Module::Metadata, and version were only needed during > install, despite their being listed in the "requires" section as well. > > Needless to say, since I said "no" to two of the three prompts, > Module::Build dies after installation saying that it can't find > Perl::OSType. > > Is "configure_requires" overriding "requires", maybe?
A prompt about something only being needed during install sounds like it comes from the CPAN client. What CPAN client are you using? They are listed in both because some older installers won't recognize configure_requires. There are workarounds if they are not installed before running Build.PL, but it's best if they can be installed ahead of time. -- David
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 734b
On Fri Feb 11 14:12:31 2011, DAGOLDEN wrote: Show quoted text
> A prompt about something only being needed during install sounds like > it comes from the CPAN client. What CPAN client are you using?
/usr/local/bin/cpan script version 1.9, CPAN.pm version 1.9402 Show quoted text
> They are listed in both because some older installers won't recognize > configure_requires. There are workarounds if they are not installed > before running Build.PL, but it's best if they can be installed ahead > of time.
Should they just be listed in requires and not configure_requires since they're required after installation, or do they need to be in configure_requires as well for some reason? (I'm not familiar enough with the install process to know.) Thanks, Steve Simms
Subject: Re: [rt.cpan.org #65650] configure_requires overrides requires?
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 14:56:23 -0500
To: bug-Module-Build [...] rt.cpan.org
From: David Golden <dagolden [...] cpan.org>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 773b
On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 2:23 PM, Steve Simms via RT <bug-Module-Build@rt.cpan.org> wrote: Show quoted text
> /usr/local/bin/cpan script version 1.9, CPAN.pm version 1.9402
Interesting. It might be a bug. I'll check it out. Show quoted text
>> They are listed in both because some older installers won't recognize >> configure_requires.  There are workarounds if they are not installed >> before running Build.PL, but it's best if they can be installed ahead >> of time.
> > Should they just be listed in requires and not configure_requires since > they're required after installation, or do they need to be in > configure_requires as well for some reason?  (I'm not familiar enough > with the install process to know.)
That might have to be the answer -- just listing them once in requires. -- David
Fixed in 0.37_03. Thanks for the report.


This service is sponsored and maintained by Best Practical Solutions and runs on Perl.org infrastructure.

Please report any issues with rt.cpan.org to rt-cpan-admin@bestpractical.com.