Skip Menu |
 

This queue is for tickets about the JavaScript CPAN distribution.

Report information
The Basics
Id: 59884
Status: open
Priority: 0/
Queue: JavaScript

People
Owner: Nobody in particular
Requestors: pause [...] tlinx.org
Cc:
AdminCc:

Bug Information
Severity: Critical
Broken in: 1.16
Fixed in: (no value)



Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 857b
Is your SpiderMonkey compiled with JS_THREADSAFE (most things will fail if you answer wrong)? [y/N] Is your SpiderMonkey compiled with support for unicode (t/23-unicode.t will fail if you answer wrong) ? [y/N] [N] y Do you want support for E4X (requires SpiderMonkey > 1.5) ? [y/N] [N] In file included from test_js.c:2: JavaScript_Env.h:9:19: error: jsapi.h: No such file or directory JavaScript_Env.h:10:22: error: jsdbgapi.h: No such file or directory JavaScript_Env.h:11:22: error: jsinterp.h: No such file or directory JavaScript_Env.h:12:19: error: jsfun.h: No such file or directory JavaScript_Env.h:13:19: error: jsobj.h: No such file or directory JavaScript_Env.h:14:19: error: jsprf.h: No such file or directory JavaScript_Env.h:15:21: error: jsscope.h: No such file or directory Failed compiling test_js.c. ABORTING Just doesn't work at all!
Subject: Missing headers (not a bug)
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 1.1k
Did you set JS_LIB and JS_INC correctly? you might be trying to build it on a system where we don't autodetect it. How to build the module is documented in the README. Closing this because it's not a bug. On Fri Jul 30 14:31:37 2010, LAWALSH wrote: Show quoted text
> Is your SpiderMonkey compiled with JS_THREADSAFE (most things will fail > if you answer wrong)? [y/N] > Is your SpiderMonkey compiled with support for unicode (t/23-unicode.t > will fail if you answer wrong) ? [y/N] [N] y > Do you want support for E4X (requires SpiderMonkey > 1.5) ? [y/N] [N] > In file included from test_js.c:2: > JavaScript_Env.h:9:19: error: jsapi.h: No such file or directory > JavaScript_Env.h:10:22: error: jsdbgapi.h: No such file or directory > JavaScript_Env.h:11:22: error: jsinterp.h: No such file or directory > JavaScript_Env.h:12:19: error: jsfun.h: No such file or directory > JavaScript_Env.h:13:19: error: jsobj.h: No such file or directory > JavaScript_Env.h:14:19: error: jsprf.h: No such file or directory > JavaScript_Env.h:15:21: error: jsscope.h: No such file or directory > Failed compiling test_js.c. ABORTING > > Just doesn't work at all!
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 494b
On Fri Jul 30 14:38:38 2010, CLAESJAC wrote: Show quoted text
> Did you set JS_LIB and JS_INC correctly? you might be trying to build > it on a system where we > don't autodetect it.
Don't see those mention in the CPAN module writeup. You might want to mention dependencies there. I read the write and tried to install it via CPAN. It doesn't doesn't work that way. You might want to explain that. I thought it interpreted JS by itself I *looked* for dependencies in the writeup. There were none listed.
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 633b
On Fri Jul 30 14:57:27 2010, LAWALSH wrote: Show quoted text
> On Fri Jul 30 14:38:38 2010, CLAESJAC wrote:
> > Did you set JS_LIB and JS_INC correctly? you might be trying to build > > it on a system where we > > don't autodetect it.
> Don't see those mention in the CPAN module writeup. > > You might want to mention dependencies there. > > I read the write and tried to install it via CPAN. > > It doesn't doesn't work that way. > > You might want to explain that. > > I thought it interpreted JS by itself I *looked* for dependencies in the > writeup. > > There were none listed. >
The README clearly says that SpiderMonkey is required
On Fri Jul 30 16:01:36 2010, CLAESJAC wrote: Show quoted text
> On Fri Jul 30 14:57:27 2010, LAWALSH wrote:
> > On Fri Jul 30 14:38:38 2010, CLAESJAC wrote:
> > > Did you set JS_LIB and JS_INC correctly? you might be trying to build > > > it on a system where we > > > don't autodetect it.
> > Don't see those mention in the CPAN module writeup. > > > > You might want to mention dependencies there. > > > > I read the write and tried to install it via CPAN. > > > > It doesn't doesn't work that way. > > > > You might want to explain that. > > > > I thought it interpreted JS by itself I *looked* for dependencies in the > > writeup. > > > > There were none listed. > >
> > The README clearly says that SpiderMonkey is required >
Then your bug is obvious the CPAN page for your module: http://search.cpan.org/~claesjac/JavaScript-1.16/lib/JavaScript.pm Has no mention of a "README". Why would I even *think* to look in something that is not mentioned. If I read about module in CPAN, next step is to install module -- NOT to go looking for things that are not mentioned! I didn't look in the "MSDOSCOMPAT" file either. ...Whole BUNCH of things I didn't look in. It's not a normal part of installing a CPAN module. if you want to release a project NOT on CPAN, then a README would be relevant, as they would be expected to unpack a tarball first. I never went through such a step. In CPAN, you install it first. There is no tarball to download -- that's supposed to be a hidden part of it being in CPAN. If you can't handle CPAN compatibility, then please don't list your module in CPAN. It's ok to have requirements -- check for them and say xxyz not found -- please install [and BUILD*?] xxyz from http:\\blahblah into <dir> and set XXYZ=<dir> and rerun. But you don't just FAIL and expect me to know what you meant. Note I say "[BUILD*?" above -- if you want me to build it, you should say so, since YOUR CPAN module might only need headers OR might build things from source that it needs. Be explicit about how to proceed. This needs to work for "my grand-ma-ma" -- NOT just you", else it's noise to put in CPAN.


This service is sponsored and maintained by Best Practical Solutions and runs on Perl.org infrastructure.

Please report any issues with rt.cpan.org to rt-cpan-admin@bestpractical.com.