Skip Menu |
 

This queue is for tickets about the Smolder CPAN distribution.

Report information
The Basics
Id: 52974
Status: new
Priority: 0/
Queue: Smolder

People
Owner: Nobody in particular
Requestors: MARKSTOS [...] cpan.org
Cc:
AdminCc:

Bug Information
Severity: Important
Broken in: 1.51
Fixed in: (no value)



Subject: after upgrade to Smolder 1.51, smolder fails to start
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 3.8k
I have just upgraded from 1.40 to 1.51. The first time I ran "smolder" after the upgrade it claimed it was upgraded the database. It's great that the upgrade automatic. However, then it just printed out a bunch of warnings and exited. I expected it to stay running in the foreground. Now when I try to start Smolder, it just prints out warnings and exits. If I've done something wrong, I would expect it to print a diagnostic message to help me fix the mistake. Here's a screenshot of what happens. Thanks for helping me to get Smolder running again! (scroll below for a piece of the solution) ### PERL5LIB=/home/mark/src/my_smolder/lib/perl5 /home/mark/src/my_smolder/bin/smolder Argument "" isn't numeric in numeric comparison (<=>) at /home/mark/src/my_smolder/lib/perl5/Number/Format.pm line 539. Argument "" isn't numeric in numeric comparison (<=>) at /home/mark/src/my_smolder/lib/perl5/Number/Format.pm line 539. Argument "" isn't numeric in numeric comparison (<=>) at /home/mark/src/my_smolder/lib/perl5/Number/Format.pm line 539. Argument "" isn't numeric in numeric comparison (<=>) at /home/mark/src/my_smolder/lib/perl5/Number/Format.pm line 539. Argument "" isn't numeric in numeric comparison (<=>) at /home/mark/src/my_smolder/lib/perl5/Number/Format.pm line 539. Argument "" isn't numeric in numeric comparison (<=>) at /home/mark/src/my_smolder/lib/perl5/Number/Format.pm line 539. Argument "" isn't numeric in numeric comparison (<=>) at /home/mark/src/my_smolder/lib/perl5/Number/Format.pm line 539. Argument "" isn't numeric in numeric comparison (<=>) at /home/mark/src/my_smolder/lib/perl5/Number/Format.pm line 539. Argument "" isn't numeric in numeric comparison (<=>) at /home/mark/src/my_smolder/lib/perl5/Number/Format.pm line 539. Argument "" isn't numeric in numeric comparison (<=>) at /home/mark/src/my_smolder/lib/perl5/Number/Format.pm line 539. Argument "" isn't numeric in numeric comparison (<=>) at /home/mark/src/my_smolder/lib/perl5/Number/Format.pm line 539. Argument "" isn't numeric in numeric comparison (<=>) at /home/mark/src/my_smolder/lib/perl5/Number/Format.pm line 539. Argument "" isn't numeric in numeric comparison (<=>) at /home/mark/src/my_smolder/lib/perl5/Number/Format.pm line 539. Argument "" isn't numeric in numeric comparison (<=>) at /home/mark/src/my_smolder/lib/perl5/Number/Format.pm line 539. Argument "" isn't numeric in numeric comparison (<=>) at /home/mark/src/my_smolder/lib/perl5/Number/Format.pm line 539. Argument "" isn't numeric in numeric comparison (<=>) at /home/mark/src/my_smolder/lib/perl5/Number/Format.pm line 539. Argument "" isn't numeric in numeric comparison (<=>) at /home/mark/src/my_smolder/lib/perl5/Number/Format.pm line 539. Argument "" isn't numeric in numeric comparison (<=>) at /home/mark/src/my_smolder/lib/perl5/Number/Format.pm line 539. ### Ok, I made some progress by setting an explicit --log_file. It would have been helpful if Smolder printed to STDERR if no log file was given, instead of sending them to /dev/null. Here are the warnings I was getting: ### 2009/12/22-10:58:15 Smolder::Server::NetServer0 (type Net::Server::PreFork) starting! pid(62229) Binding to TCP port 8080 on host localhost.localdomain 2009/12/22-10:58:15 Can't connect to TCP port 8080 on localhost.localdomain [Invalid argument] at line 88 in file /home/mark/src/my_smolder/lib/perl5/Net/Server/Proto/TCP.pm 2009/12/22-10:58:15 Server closing! ### I made some progress by modifying Smolder/Conf.pm to change the default of "localhost.localdomain" to be simply "localhost" (on FreeBSD 6.3). This allowed the server to start. I still couldn't access the application until I set HOSTNAME to be a valid hostname (rather than localhost). I forget how I solved this with 1.40. So, I'm up and running now but I hope my feedback is helpful to smooth the upgrade process.


This service is sponsored and maintained by Best Practical Solutions and runs on Perl.org infrastructure.

Please report any issues with rt.cpan.org to rt-cpan-admin@bestpractical.com.