Skip Menu |
 

This queue is for tickets about the Pod-Coverage CPAN distribution.

Report information
The Basics
Id: 4868
Status: resolved
Priority: 0/
Queue: Pod-Coverage

People
Owner: Nobody in particular
Requestors:
Cc:
AdminCc:

Bug Information
Severity: Normal
Broken in: 0.13
Fixed in: (no value)



Subject: s/create_makefile_pl => 'passthrough',/create_makefile_pl => 'traditional',/
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 193b
Please replace create_makefile_pl => 'passthrough' with create_makefile_pl => 'traditional',/ passthrough is just a bad idea (doesn't provide everything a traditional makefile does...)
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 379b
[guest - Thu Jan 8 05:54:09 2004]: Show quoted text
> passthrough is just a bad idea > (doesn't provide everything a traditional makefile does...)
If perhaps you were more specific about the parts you needed supported then maybe I or the Module::Build maintainers would be willing to do something about it. Until then, I'm closing this as notabug. -- Richard Clamp <richardc@unixbeard.net>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 841b
[RCLAMP - Tue Jan 13 08:39:48 2004]: Show quoted text
> [guest - Thu Jan 8 05:54:09 2004]: >
> > passthrough is just a bad idea > > (doesn't provide everything a traditional makefile does...)
> > If perhaps you were more specific about the parts you needed supported
Gee, I wonder why Module::Build guys are so insistant on forcing their beta module on unsuspecting users. You don't do anything special in Build.PL so there really is no reason to force Module::Build onto unsuspecting users. As for the passthrough inadequacies, like I said, it doesn't provide "everything" a traditional makefile does. When I say everything, I mean everything, from TEST_VERBOSE=1 to TEST_FILES="file file file" .... traditional works now, and no reason to force users to install Module::Build just to install your great module. Its really no skin of your back...
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 1.5k
[guest - Sat Feb 28 06:53:28 2004]: Show quoted text
> [RCLAMP - Tue Jan 13 08:39:48 2004]:
> > [guest - Thu Jan 8 05:54:09 2004]: > >
> > > passthrough is just a bad idea > > > (doesn't provide everything a traditional makefile does...)
> > > > If perhaps you were more specific about the parts you needed supported
> > Gee, I wonder why Module::Build guys are so insistant on > forcing their beta module on unsuspecting users.
It's a mechanism for working out the bugs and identifying the bits that are missing that people actually care about. Show quoted text
> You don't do anything special in Build.PL so there really is > no reason to force Module::Build onto unsuspecting users.
Sorry, you're mistaken. Because Pod::Coverage has an xs component and the two distribution layouts for dealing with xs code are incompatible. I've chosen to go with the Module::Build style of putting the .xs close to the .pm file it relates to so I must use a passthrough. Show quoted text
> As for the passthrough inadequacies, like I said, > it doesn't provide "everything" a traditional makefile does. > When I say everything, I mean everything, > from TEST_VERBOSE=1 to TEST_FILES="file file file" ....
I'll pass on the comments about the TEST_ flags to the Module::Build list for you. Show quoted text
> traditional works now, and no reason to force users to install > Module::Build just to install your great module.
I'm afraid I must repeat myself - you're wrong on this. In order to get my module compiled and installed you have to use Module::Build, so suck it up. -- Richard Clamp <richardc@unixbeard.net>


This service is sponsored and maintained by Best Practical Solutions and runs on Perl.org infrastructure.

Please report any issues with rt.cpan.org to rt-cpan-admin@bestpractical.com.