Skip Menu |
 

This queue is for tickets about the IO-Compress CPAN distribution.

Report information
The Basics
Id: 46895
Status: resolved
Priority: 0/
Queue: IO-Compress

People
Owner: Nobody in particular
Requestors: kane [...] cpan.org
Cc:
AdminCc:

Bug Information
Severity: Critical
Broken in: 2.020
Fixed in: (no value)



Subject: Won't let me upgrade
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 1.9k
I'm absolutely stuck, and that doesn't happen often: [kane@myriad-wifi ~...build/IO-Compress-2.020]$ perlc Makefile.PL Up/Downgrade not needed. Writing Makefile for IO::Compress [kane@myriad-wifi ~...build/IO-Compress-2.020]$ make install Manifying blib/man3/IO::Uncompress::RawInflate.3 Manifying blib/man3/IO::Uncompress::Unzip.3 Manifying blib/man3/Compress::Zlib.3 Manifying blib/man3/IO::Uncompress::Inflate.3 Manifying blib/man3/IO::Compress::Deflate.3 Manifying blib/man3/IO::Uncompress::Bunzip2.3 Manifying blib/man3/IO::Compress::Zip.3 Manifying blib/man3/IO::Uncompress::Gunzip.3 Manifying blib/man3/IO::Uncompress::Base.3 Manifying blib/man3/IO::Uncompress::AnyUncompress.3 Manifying blib/man3/IO::Compress::RawDeflate.3 Manifying blib/man3/IO::Compress::Base.3 Manifying blib/man3/File::GlobMapper.3 Manifying blib/man3/IO::Uncompress::AnyInflate.3 Manifying blib/man3/IO::Compress::Gzip.3 Manifying blib/man3/IO::Compress::Bzip2.3 Appending installation info to /opt/5.10.0/lib/perl5/5.10.0/darwin-2level/perllocal.pod [kane@myriad-wifi ~...build/IO-Compress-2.020]$ [kane@myriad-wifi ~...build/IO-Compress-2.020]$ perlc -MIO::Compress::Base::Common\ 9999 IO::Compress::Base::Common version 9999 required--this is only version 2.015. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted. IO::Compress refuses to let me upgrade. Make install does not install any actual files. And the IO::* modules are now in a broken state, because SOMETHING is requiring the 2.020 i can't install: $ perlc /tmp/x.pl /tmp/out.tbz IO::Compress::Base::Common version 2.02 required--this is only version 2.015 at /opt/5.10.0/lib/perl5/5.10.0/darwin-2level/IO/Uncompress/Bunzip2.pm line 7. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /opt/5.10.0/lib/perl5/5.10.0/darwin-2level/IO/Uncompress/Bunzip2.pm line 7. Compilation failed in require at /tmp/x.pl line 8. How do I get out of this? This is all major yakshaving to debug an issue with bleadperl which i'll make a seperate ticket for...
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 2.3k
On Fri Jun 12 14:26:23 2009, KANE wrote: Show quoted text
> I'm absolutely stuck, and that doesn't happen often: > > [kane@myriad-wifi ~...build/IO-Compress-2.020]$ perlc Makefile.PL > Up/Downgrade not needed. > Writing Makefile for IO::Compress > > [kane@myriad-wifi ~...build/IO-Compress-2.020]$ make install > Manifying blib/man3/IO::Uncompress::RawInflate.3 > Manifying blib/man3/IO::Uncompress::Unzip.3 > Manifying blib/man3/Compress::Zlib.3 > Manifying blib/man3/IO::Uncompress::Inflate.3 > Manifying blib/man3/IO::Compress::Deflate.3 > Manifying blib/man3/IO::Uncompress::Bunzip2.3 > Manifying blib/man3/IO::Compress::Zip.3 > Manifying blib/man3/IO::Uncompress::Gunzip.3 > Manifying blib/man3/IO::Uncompress::Base.3 > Manifying blib/man3/IO::Uncompress::AnyUncompress.3 > Manifying blib/man3/IO::Compress::RawDeflate.3 > Manifying blib/man3/IO::Compress::Base.3 > Manifying blib/man3/File::GlobMapper.3 > Manifying blib/man3/IO::Uncompress::AnyInflate.3 > Manifying blib/man3/IO::Compress::Gzip.3 > Manifying blib/man3/IO::Compress::Bzip2.3 > Appending installation info to > /opt/5.10.0/lib/perl5/5.10.0/darwin-2level/perllocal.pod > [kane@myriad-wifi ~...build/IO-Compress-2.020]$ > > [kane@myriad-wifi ~...build/IO-Compress-2.020]$ perlc > -MIO::Compress::Base::Common\ 9999 > IO::Compress::Base::Common version 9999 required--this is only version > 2.015. > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted. > > IO::Compress refuses to let me upgrade. Make install does not install > any actual files. And the IO::* modules are now in a broken state, > because SOMETHING is requiring the 2.020 i can't install: > > $ perlc /tmp/x.pl /tmp/out.tbz > IO::Compress::Base::Common version 2.02 required--this is only version > 2.015 at > /opt/5.10.0/lib/perl5/5.10.0/darwin-2level/IO/Uncompress/Bunzip2.pm
line 7. Show quoted text
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at > /opt/5.10.0/lib/perl5/5.10.0/darwin-2level/IO/Uncompress/Bunzip2.pm
line 7. Show quoted text
> Compilation failed in require at /tmp/x.pl line 8. > > How do I get out of this? > > This is all major yakshaving to debug an issue with bleadperl which i'll > make a seperate ticket for... >
Hi again Jos, I really don't know what's going on here - I tried a fresh 5.10, then upgraded my compression modules without any trouble. Were any of the compression modules already upgraded in your 5.10 install before you tried installing 2.020? Paul
Subject: Re: [rt.cpan.org #46895] Won't let me upgrade
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 18:51:11 +0200
To: bug-IO-Compress [...] rt.cpan.org
From: "Jos I. Boumans" <kane [...] cpan.org>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 1015b
On Jun 13, 2009, at 3:34 PM, Paul Marquess via RT wrote: Show quoted text
> I really don't know what's going on here - I tried a fresh 5.10, then > upgraded my compression modules without any trouble. Were any of the > compression modules already upgraded in your 5.10 install before you > tried installing 2.020?
I have no idea -- not explicitly, but any CPAN module i've installed could have done it of course. I've amended a Dumper %INC to the script from the other ticket, and it seems that fink is adding its own version of perl5lib at the front of my perl. UGH! Ill see if i can do something about this... This leads me to suggest again though that it may be wise to have all the IO:: modules be installed in one bundle; the reason i'm 'stuck' is because some of them are 2.015 and some of them are 2.020 (i'm guessing the fink install only have a subset installed, but has an older base) and therefor nothing will play nicely with eachother anymore... Cheers, -- Jos Boumans 'Real programmers use "cat > a.out"'
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 1.6k
On Sat Jun 13 12:51:34 2009, KANE wrote: Show quoted text
> > On Jun 13, 2009, at 3:34 PM, Paul Marquess via RT wrote: >
> > I really don't know what's going on here - I tried a fresh 5.10, then > > upgraded my compression modules without any trouble. Were any of the > > compression modules already upgraded in your 5.10 install before you > > tried installing 2.020?
> > I have no idea -- not explicitly, but any CPAN module i've installed > could have done it of course. > > I've amended a Dumper %INC to the script from the other ticket, and it > seems that fink is adding its own version of perl5lib at the front of > my perl. UGH! Ill see if i can do something about this... > > This leads me to suggest again though that it may be wise to have all > the IO:: modules be installed in one bundle; the reason i'm 'stuck' is > because some of them are 2.015 and some of them are 2.020 (i'm guessing > the fink install only have a subset installed, but has an older base) > and therefor nothing will play nicely with eachother anymore...
All the IO::* compression modules needed for gzip/bzip2 *are* in one bundle, namely IO::Compress. The only dependency left is to Raw-Compress-Zlib & Raw-Compress-Bzip2. Looking at the versions output from the other thread the issue you are having is completely within the modules supplied with IO::Compress. The Compress-Raw modules have been updated correctly. I assume the "make test" passed when you were attempting to upgrate to 2.020? If so, then perhaps the IO/Compress/Base.pm that was already on your system isn't being overwritten by the new one. Could you check if you have more than one version of IO/Compress/Base.pm please? Paul
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 475b
Jos, are you running Ubuntu or Debian by any chance? I've just installed Ubunti 9 & tried to upgrade the compression modules used by the Perl that they ship. It didn't work - looks like they have included two different versions of Compress::Raw::Zlib that live in different places in the @INC tree. /usr/lib/perl/5.10.0/Compress/Raw/Zlib.pm /usr/lib/perl5/Compress/Raw/Zlib.pm That plus the setup for @INC seems to be causing the problem. Will investigate some more. Paul
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 448b
please do this apt-get --reinstall install perl libio-compress-zlib-perl then do # cpan IO::Uncompress::Base Notice, not CPANPLUS. This is a bug in Debian's packaging of CPANPLUS and their configuration not being compatible with CPAN (and old CPAN.pm) Please mark this bug as "rejected", you can find more information about it https://bugs.launchpad.net/debian/+source/perl/+bug/394481 and http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=533707
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 605b
On Wed Jul 01 17:21:22 2009, ECARROLL wrote: Show quoted text
> please do this > apt-get --reinstall install perl libio-compress-zlib-perl > then do > # cpan IO::Uncompress::Base > > > Notice, not CPANPLUS. This is a bug in Debian's packaging of CPANPLUS > and their configuration not being compatible with CPAN (and old CPAN.pm) > > Please mark this bug as "rejected", you can find more information about it > https://bugs.launchpad.net/debian/+source/perl/+bug/394481 > and http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=533707
Thanks Evan. Jos - does this ring any bells with the experience you had? cheers Paul
Subject: Re: [rt.cpan.org #46895] Won't let me upgrade
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 13:15:33 +0200
To: bug-IO-Compress [...] rt.cpan.org
From: "Jos I. Boumans" <kane [...] cpan.org>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 1.1k
On Jul 3, 2009, at 10:46 PM, Paul Marquess via RT wrote: Show quoted text
> <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=46895 > > > On Wed Jul 01 17:21:22 2009, ECARROLL wrote:
>> please do this >> apt-get --reinstall install perl libio-compress-zlib-perl >> then do >> # cpan IO::Uncompress::Base >> >> >> Notice, not CPANPLUS. This is a bug in Debian's packaging of CPANPLUS >> and their configuration not being compatible with CPAN (and old >> CPAN.pm) >> >> Please mark this bug as "rejected", you can find more information >> about it >> https://bugs.launchpad.net/debian/+source/perl/+bug/394481 >> and http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=533707
> > Thanks Evan. > > Jos - does this ring any bells with the experience you had?
No the issue's on OSX. However, I found the culprit. On my box I have fink installed, which adds ITS perl5 libs (pure perl only) to PERL5LIB. This is how the mismatch occurred between 2.015 (in fink) and 2.020 (system install). I've reported this to the fink guys, but I dont know a graceful way out. For now, I've simply disabled fink's inclusion path. Cheers, -- Jos Boumans 'Real programmers use "cat > a.out"'
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 500b
Show quoted text
> > Jos - does this ring any bells with the experience you had?
> > > No the issue's on OSX. However, I found the culprit. On my box I have > fink > installed, which adds ITS perl5 libs (pure perl only) to PERL5LIB. > > This is how the mismatch occurred between 2.015 (in fink) and 2.020 > (system > install). I've reported this to the fink guys, but I dont know a > graceful > way out. > > For now, I've simply disabled fink's inclusion path. >
OK - I'll close this ticket then. Paul


This service is sponsored and maintained by Best Practical Solutions and runs on Perl.org infrastructure.

Please report any issues with rt.cpan.org to rt-cpan-admin@bestpractical.com.