Skip Menu |
 

This queue is for tickets about the Mail-SPF CPAN distribution.

Report information
The Basics
Id: 26784
Status: resolved
Priority: 0/
Queue: Mail-SPF

People
Owner: JMEHNLE [...] cpan.org
Requestors: schneecrash [...] gmail.com
Cc:
AdminCc:

Bug Information
Severity: Unimportant
Broken in:
  • 2.001
  • 2.002
  • 2.003
  • 2.004
Fixed in: v2.005



Subject: installed Mail::SPF reports/compares version incorrectly in cpan
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 08:29:22 -0700
To: bug-Mail-SPF [...] rt.cpan.org
From: snowcrash <schneecrash [...] gmail.com>
hi, with, Summary of my perl5 (revision 5 version 8 subversion 8) configuration: Platform: osname=darwin, osvers=8.8.0, archname=darwin-thread-multi-2level uname='darwin dev 8.8.0 darwin kernel version 8.8.0: fri sep 8 17:18:57 pdt 2006; root:xnu-792.12.6.obj~1release_ppc power macintosh powerpc ' after an apparently successful install of, Show quoted text
cpan> install Mail::SPF
... Writing /usr/local/lib/perl/sitelib/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/Mail/SPF/.packlist JMEHNLE/mail-spf/Mail-SPF-2.004.tar.gz /usr/bin/make install UNINST=1 -- OK Show quoted text
cpan> q
% module_info Mail::SPF Name: Mail::SPF Version: v2.004 Directory: /usr/local/lib/perl/sitelib File: /usr/local/lib/perl/sitelib/Mail/SPF.pm Core module: no % re-checking, % cpan Show quoted text
cpan> r
still reports, Package namespace installed latest in CPAN file Mail::SPF v2.004 2.004000 JMEHNLE/mail-spf/Mail-SPF-2.004.tar.gz 6 installed modules have a version number of 0 373 installed modules have no parseable version number Show quoted text
cpan>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 1.2k
Show quoted text
> with, > > Summary of my perl5 (revision 5 version 8 subversion 8) > configuration: > Platform: > osname=darwin, osvers=8.8.0, archname=darwin-thread-multi-2level > uname='darwin dev 8.8.0 darwin kernel version 8.8.0: fri sep 8 > 17:18:57 pdt 2006; root:xnu-792.12.6.obj~1release_ppc power macintosh > powerpc ' > > after an apparently successful install of, >
> cpan> install Mail::SPF
> ... > Writing /usr/local/lib/perl/sitelib/darwin-thread-multi- > 2level/auto/Mail/SPF/.packlist > JMEHNLE/mail-spf/Mail-SPF-2.004.tar.gz > /usr/bin/make install UNINST=1 -- OK
> cpan> q
> % module_info Mail::SPF > Name: Mail::SPF > Version: v2.004 > Directory: /usr/local/lib/perl/sitelib > File: /usr/local/lib/perl/sitelib/Mail/SPF.pm > Core module: no > % > > re-checking, > > % cpan
> cpan> r
> > still reports, > > Package namespace installed latest in CPAN file > Mail::SPF v2.004 2.004000 > JMEHNLE/mail-spf/Mail-SPF-2.004.tar.gz > 6 installed modules have a version number of 0 > 373 installed modules have no parseable version number
> cpan>
Thanks for the report. What version of CPAN are you using? Julian.
Subject: Re: [rt.cpan.org #26784] installed Mail::SPF reports/compares version incorrectly in cpan
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 09:48:34 -0700
To: bug-Mail-SPF [...] rt.cpan.org
From: snowcrash <schneecrash [...] gmail.com>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 462b
hi, Show quoted text
> > Package namespace installed latest in CPAN file > > Mail::SPF v2.004 2.004000 > > JMEHNLE/mail-spf/Mail-SPF-2.004.tar.gz > > 6 installed modules have a version number of 0 > > 373 installed modules have no parseable version number
> > cpan>
> > Thanks for the report. What version of CPAN are you using?
"cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation (v1.9101) ReadLine support enabled" thanks.
Subject: Re: [rt.cpan.org #26784] installed Mail::SPF reports/compares version incorrectly in cpan
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 14:16:46 -0700
To: bug-Mail-SPF [...] rt.cpan.org
From: snowcrash <schneecrash [...] gmail.com>
hi, fyi, this continues after upgrade of cpan v1.9101 -> v1.9102 thanks.
Subject: Re: [rt.cpan.org #26784] installed Mail::SPF reports/compares version incorrectly in cpan
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 14:22:44 -0700
To: bug-Mail-SPF [...] rt.cpan.org
From: snowcrash <schneecrash [...] gmail.com>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 191b
ah, & the issue also seems to occur with: Mail::SPF::Test v1.000 1.000000 JMEHNLE/mail-spf-test/Mail-SPF-Test-1.000.tar.gz never seeming to recognize the install/upgrade ....
Subject: Re: [rt.cpan.org #26784] installed Mail::SPF reports/compares version incorrectly in cpan
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 14:22:44 -0700
To: bug-Mail-SPF [...] rt.cpan.org
From: snowcrash <schneecrash [...] gmail.com>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 191b
ah, & the issue also seems to occur with: Mail::SPF::Test v1.000 1.000000 JMEHNLE/mail-spf-test/Mail-SPF-Test-1.000.tar.gz never seeming to recognize the install/upgrade ....
Subject: Re: [rt.cpan.org #26784] installed Mail::SPF reports/compares version incorrectly in cpan
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 12:14:10 -0700
To: bug-Mail-SPF [...] rt.cpan.org
From: snowcrash <schneecrash [...] gmail.com>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 249b
hi, On 5/3/07, Julian Mehnle via RT <bug-Mail-SPF@rt.cpan.org> wrote: Show quoted text
... Show quoted text
> Thanks for the report. What version of CPAN are you using?
just following up ... any ideas on this? thanks!
Subject: Re: [rt.cpan.org #26784] installed Mail::SPF reports/compares version incorrectly in cpan
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 22:12:55 +0000
To: bug-Mail-SPF [...] rt.cpan.org
From: Julian Mehnle <julian [...] mehnle.net>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 788b
Yes, a 2.005 release of Mail::SPF is impending. The problem was caused by an out-of-date Module::Build installation on the distribution author's (i.e., my) system. For the record, see here for a (slightly mistaken) explanation: http://www.mail-archive.com/module-build@perl.org/msg00685.html The mistake was that CPAN.pm wasn't sorting "2.004000" between "v2.3999" and "v2.4001", but that CPAN.pm does up to _two_ comparisons when checking for availability of updated packages: first a numerical comparison (which yielded 2.004 == 2.004000), and then (due to identity) an additional string comparison (yielding "2.004" lt "2.004000"). This is an undocu- mented oddity of CPAN.pm. Mail::SPF 2.005 hopefully fixes that by having META.yml say "v2.005" instead of "2.005000".
Download (untitled)
application/pgp-signature 189b

Message body not shown because it is not plain text.

Subject: Re: [rt.cpan.org #26784] installed Mail::SPF reports/compares version incorrectly in cpan
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 15:29:53 -0700
To: bug-Mail-SPF [...] rt.cpan.org
From: snowcrash <schneecrash [...] gmail.com>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 232b
Show quoted text
> Yes, a 2.005 release of Mail::SPF is impending. The problem was caused by > an out-of-date Module::Build installation on the distribution author's > (i.e., my) system.
thanks for the follow-up, explanation, and fix :-) cheers!
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 239b
Mail::SPF 2.005 and Mail::SPF::Test 1.001 have been released to CPAN, hopefully fixing this issue. Please test them and verify that they do! In the unlikely event that this issue persists, please do not hesitate to reopen this ticket.
Subject: Re: [rt.cpan.org #26784] installed Mail::SPF reports/compares version incorrectly in cpan
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 17:32:48 -0700
To: bug-Mail-SPF [...] rt.cpan.org
From: snowcrash <schneecrash [...] gmail.com>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 4.4k
Show quoted text
> Mail::SPF 2.005 and Mail::SPF::Test 1.001 have been released to CPAN, > hopefully fixing this issue. Please test them and verify that they > do! In the unlikely event that this issue persists, please do not > hesitate to reopen this ticket.
hi, looks like Mail::SPF & Mail::SPF::Test are ok, but Mail::SPF::Query still has an issue ... not sure if it merits a 'new' bug/ticket, so i'll mention it here 1st ... cpanp CPAN Terminal> i Mail::SPF Mail::SPF::Query Mail::SPF::Test --force CPAN Terminal> q module_info Mail::SPF | grep Version Version: v2.004 module_info Mail::SPF::Query | grep Version Version: 1.999.1 module_info Mail::SPF::Test | grep Version Version: v1.000 cpanp CPAN Terminal> o [MSG] Checking if source files are up to date [MSG] Retrieving /usr/ports/cpanplus_build/sourcefiles.2.16.stored 1 1.999 1.999001 Mail::SPF::Query JMEHNLE CPAN Terminal> l Mail::SPF Mail::SPF::Query Mail::SPF::Test CPAN Terminal> l Mail::SPF Mail::SPF::Query Mail::SPF::Test Details for 'Mail::SPF' Author Julian Mehnle (julian@mehnle.net) Description Sender Permitted From - Object Oriented Development Stage Beta testing Installed File /usr/local/lib/perl/sitelib/Mail/SPF.pm Interface Style Object oriented using blessed references and/or inheritance Language Used Perl-only, no compiler needed, should be platform independent Package Mail-SPF-2.004.tar.gz Public License Standard-Perl: user may choose between GPL and Artistic Support Level Developer Version Installed v2.004 Version on CPAN 2.004000 Contains: Mail::SPF Mail::SPF::Base Mail::SPF::Exception Mail::SPF::MacroString Mail::SPF::Mech Mail::SPF::Mech::A Mail::SPF::Mech::All Mail::SPF::Mech::Exists Mail::SPF::Mech::IP4 Mail::SPF::Mech::IP6 Mail::SPF::Mech::Include Mail::SPF::Mech::MX Mail::SPF::Mech::PTR Mail::SPF::Mod Mail::SPF::Mod::Exp Mail::SPF::Mod::Redirect Mail::SPF::Record Mail::SPF::Request Mail::SPF::Result Mail::SPF::SenderIPAddrMech Mail::SPF::Server Mail::SPF::Term Mail::SPF::Util Mail::SPF::v1::Record Mail::SPF::v2::Record Details for 'Mail::SPF::Query' Author Julian Mehnle (julian@mehnle.net) Description Query Sender Permitted From status in DNS Development Stage Released Installed File /usr/local/lib/perl/sitelib/Mail/SPF/Query.pm Interface Style Object oriented using blessed references and/or inheritance Language Used Perl-only, no compiler needed, should be platform independent Package Mail-SPF-Query-1.999.1.tar.gz Public License other (but distribution allowed without restrictions) Support Level Mailing-list Version Installed 1.999.1 Version on CPAN 1.999001 Contains: Mail::SPF::Query Details for 'Mail::SPF::Test' Author Julian Mehnle (julian@mehnle.net) Description None given Development Stage Unknown Installed File /usr/local/lib/perl/sitelib/Mail/SPF/Test.pm Interface Style Unknown Language Used Unknown Package Mail-SPF-Test-1.000.tar.gz Public License Unknown Support Level Unknown Version Installed v1.000 Version on CPAN 1.000000 Contains: Mail::SPF::Test Mail::SPF::Test::Base Mail::SPF::Test::Case Mail::SPF::Test::Scenario CPAN Terminal> thanks!
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 359b
On Wed May 30 20:33:20 2007, schneecrash@gmail.com wrote: Show quoted text
> looks like Mail::SPF & Mail::SPF::Test are ok, but Mail::SPF::Query > still has an issue ... not sure if it merits a 'new' bug/ticket, so > i'll mention it here 1st ... > > [CPANPLUS transcript]
Your CPANPLUS transcript explains absolutely nothing to me. Please explain to me what the issue is.
Subject: Re: [rt.cpan.org #26784] installed Mail::SPF reports/compares version incorrectly in cpan
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 06:31:52 -0700
To: bug-Mail-SPF [...] rt.cpan.org
From: snowcrash <schneecrash [...] gmail.com>
as before, but now with a different/additional module, installed Mail::SPF::Query, cpan/cpanp reports/compares module's isntalled version incorrectly (1) check for updates CPAN Terminal> o 1 1.999 1.999001 Mail::SPF::Query JMEHNLE (2) force install Mail::SPF::Query CPAN Terminal> i Mail::SPF::Query --force (3) check the installed version using module_info module_info Mail::SPF::Query | grep Version Version: 1.999.1 (4) check for updates, again CPAN Terminal> o 1 1.999 1.999001 Mail::SPF::Query JMEHNLE --> nothing's changed; it still thinks Mail::SPF::Query needs updating (5) list detailed info of install, noting versions ... CPAN Terminal> l Mail::SPF::Query Details for 'Mail::SPF::Query' Author Julian Mehnle (julian@mehnle.net) Description Query Sender Permitted From status in DNS Development Stage Released Installed File /usr/local/lib/perl/sitelib/Mail/SPF/Query.pm Interface Style Object oriented using blessed references and/or inheritance Language Used Perl-only, no compiler needed, should be platform independent Package Mail-SPF-Query-1.999.1.tar.gz Public License other (but distribution allowed without restrictions) Support Level Mailing-list Version Installed 1.999.1 Version on CPAN 1.999001 Contains: Mail::SPF::Query On 5/31/07, Julian Mehnle via RT <bug-Mail-SPF@rt.cpan.org> wrote: Show quoted text
> > <URL: http://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=26784 > > > On Wed May 30 20:33:20 2007, schneecrash@gmail.com wrote:
> > looks like Mail::SPF & Mail::SPF::Test are ok, but Mail::SPF::Query > > still has an issue ... not sure if it merits a 'new' bug/ticket, so > > i'll mention it here 1st ... > > > > [CPANPLUS transcript]
> > Your CPANPLUS transcript explains absolutely nothing to me. Please > explain to me what the issue is. > >
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 937b
Show quoted text
> as before, but now with a different/additional module, installed > Mail::SPF::Query, cpan/cpanp reports/compares module's isntalled > version incorrectly > > (1) check for updates > > CPAN Terminal> o > 1 1.999 1.999001 Mail::SPF::Query JMEHNLE > > [...] > > (4) check for updates, again > > CPAN Terminal> o > 1 1.999 1.999001 Mail::SPF::Query JMEHNLE > > --> nothing's changed; it still thinks Mail::SPF::Query needs updating
I see. This could theoretically be fixed with Mail::SPF::Query (M:S:Q) 1.999.x, but it won't, as M:S:Q is scheduled to be replaced by a compatibility wrapper around Mail::SPF in M:S:Q's next release (planned as 2.0). I am currently working on this M:S:Q 2.0, which will then certainly contain a fix for this issue, but the release will take a few more months as I'm currently busy with real life. I'm closing this ticket as it really relates to Mail::SPF.
Subject: Re: [rt.cpan.org #26784] installed Mail::SPF reports/compares version incorrectly in cpan
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 22:30:46 -0700
To: bug-Mail-SPF [...] rt.cpan.org
From: snowcrash <schneecrash [...] gmail.com>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 707b
hi, Show quoted text
> I see. This could theoretically be fixed with Mail::SPF::Query (M:S:Q) > 1.999.x, but it won't, as M:S:Q is scheduled to be replaced by a > compatibility wrapper around Mail::SPF in M:S:Q's next release (planned > as 2.0). > > I am currently working on this M:S:Q 2.0, which will then certainly > contain a fix for this issue, but the release will take a few more > months as I'm currently busy with real life.
understood. hopefully it won't matter anyway ... the only dependency on ...::Query that (4 now) matters to me is that of ASSP (assp.sf.net). we'll see whether any issues crop up. honestly, doubt it. Show quoted text
> I'm closing this ticket as it really relates to Mail::SPF.
fair enough. thanks!


This service is sponsored and maintained by Best Practical Solutions and runs on Perl.org infrastructure.

Please report any issues with rt.cpan.org to rt-cpan-admin@bestpractical.com.