Skip Menu |
 

This queue is for tickets about the PerlIO-gzip CPAN distribution.

Report information
The Basics
Id: 1483
Status: open
Priority: 0/
Queue: PerlIO-gzip

People
Owner: Nobody in particular
Requestors: david [...] panmedia.dk
Cc:
AdminCc:

Bug Information
Severity: Normal
Broken in:
  • 0.04
  • 0.14
Fixed in: (no value)



Subject: Glitch in testing under cygwin
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 602b
What happens is really simple. Test number 70 attempts to compress the sh binary, presumably because it is a safe bet that it exists. Only, under cygwin it isn't because although the program can be run as /usr/bin/perl, the filename is /usr/bin/perl.exe. Test 36 does the same with the perl binary, but wisely skips the test if it not found. Perhaps test 70 should do the same. A more advanced version would also try 'which sh' and 'which perl', but of course then one has to take care of not dying if which fails (and it does surprisingly often, in my experience even on some badly configured HPUX.
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 10:55:16 +0100
From: Nicholas Clark <nick [...] ccl4.org>
To: via RT <bug-PerlIO-gzip [...] rt.cpan.org>
Subject: Re: [cpan #1483] Glitch in testing under cygwin
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 1.8k
On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 09:25:02PM -0400, via RT wrote: Show quoted text
> > > This message about PerlIO-gzip was sent to you by DAVIDH via rt.cpan.org > > Full context and any attached attachments can be found at: > <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=1483 > > > What happens is really simple. Test number 70 attempts to compress the sh binary, presumably because it is a safe bet that it exists. Only, under cygwin it isn't because although the program can be run as /usr/bin/perl, the filename is /usr/bin/perl.exe. > > Test 36 does the same with the perl binary, but wisely skips the test if it not found. Perhaps test 70 should do the same.
Are you sure this is exactly what's happening? The whole lot is wrapped inside a -s $Config{'sh'} test: if (-s $Config{'sh'}) { open FOO, "<", $Config{'sh'} or die $!; binmode FOO; undef $/; my $sh = <FOO>; die "Can't slurp $Config{'sh'}: $!" unless defined $sh; die sprintf ("Slurped %d, but disk file $Config{'sh'} is %d bytes", length $sh, -s $Config{'sh'}) unless length $sh == -s $Config{'sh'}; close FOO or die "Close failed: $!"; if (open GZ, ">:gzip", "foo") { print "ok 70\n"; } else { print "not ok 70\n"; } so it *ought* to be skipped if the file $Config{'sh'} has zero size, or can't be found. What I guess is happening is that the test is being caught out by a cygwin "feature" whereby if the stat call for file "foo" fails, then it silently also tries "foo.exe" and returns data for that. So I can get the size of "sh.exe" because there is no "sh", but the open on "sh" fails. Show quoted text
> A more advanced version would also try 'which sh' and 'which perl', but of course then one has to take care of not dying if which fails (and it does surprisingly often, in my experience even on some badly configured HPUX.
I don't think I want to do that. It's easier to skip. Nicholas Clark
From: spam-bitcard [...] yary.ack.org
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 135b
PerlIO::Gzip is still failing on cigwin, but it's pretty simple to fix the test. Here's the diff for PerlIO::Gzip's current t/write.t
Download write.t-diff
application/octet-stream 1.2k

Message body not shown because it is not plain text.

From: RURBAN [...] cpan.org
On Thu Aug 29 05:55:22 2002, nick@ccl4.org wrote: Show quoted text
> On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 09:25:02PM -0400, via RT wrote:
> > > > > > This message about PerlIO-gzip was sent to you by DAVIDH via
> rt.cpan.org
> > > > Full context and any attached attachments can be found at: > > <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=1483 > > > > > What happens is really simple. Test number 70 attempts to compress
> the sh binary, presumably because it is a safe bet that it exists. > Only, under cygwin it isn't because although the program can be run > as /usr/bin/perl, the filename is /usr/bin/perl.exe.
> > > > Test 36 does the same with the perl binary, but wisely skips the
> test if it not found. Perhaps test 70 should do the same. > > Are you sure this is exactly what's happening? > The whole lot is wrapped inside a -s $Config{'sh'} test: > > if (-s $Config{'sh'}) { > open FOO, "<", $Config{'sh'} or die $!; > binmode FOO; > undef $/; > > my $sh = <FOO>; > die "Can't slurp $Config{'sh'}: $!" unless defined $sh; > die sprintf ("Slurped %d, but disk file $Config{'sh'} is %d bytes", > length $sh, -s $Config{'sh'}) > unless length $sh == -s $Config{'sh'}; > close FOO or die "Close failed: $!"; > > if (open GZ, ">:gzip", "foo") { > print "ok 70\n"; > } else { > print "not ok 70\n"; > } > > > so it *ought* to be skipped if the file $Config{'sh'} has zero size, > or > can't be found. > > What I guess is happening is that the test is being caught out by a > cygwin > "feature" whereby if the stat call for file "foo" fails, then it > silently > also tries "foo.exe" and returns data for that. So I can get the size > of > "sh.exe" because there is no "sh", but the open on "sh" fails.
This is correct. $Config{sh} is "/bin/sh", stat succeeds, but the PerlIO with open "<" fails. So it really has to fixed in CORE - by me :) - but until then the patch sent later fixes the tests, so that this module can be installed. Please apply the simple cygwin patch. $Config{sh} is usually only used to be called, not to be used via open. -- Reini Urban


This service is sponsored and maintained by Best Practical Solutions and runs on Perl.org infrastructure.

Please report any issues with rt.cpan.org to rt-cpan-admin@bestpractical.com.