Perl 5.8.4 Kernel: Linux 2.4.26 Distribution: Slackware 10.0 Hi, I wrote a Perl script that reads a utf-8 file and display some part of it (definitions) on a web page. The definitions are written in french and encoded in utf-8. The definitions doesn't display correctly. Some special characters (like e acute) doesn't display correctly. I have found a workaround. I enclose the definition in <> and it works! I looked in the module to find the cause but I guess I'm not a Perl expert because I have trouble figuring out how it works. Here's some important lines of my perl script: #Get the definitions from the XML file my $definition=$doc->getElementsByTagName('Definition')->item(0)- Show quoted text
>getFirstChild->getNodeValue;#remove trailing and leading <> $description=~s/^<//; $description=~s/>$//; Here the structure of the XML file: <definition>The definition enclosed in <></Definition> Feel free to ask for more details. Thanks!