Skip Menu |
 

This queue is for tickets about the Perl-Dist-Strawberry CPAN distribution.

Report information
The Basics
Id: 120138
Status: new
Priority: 0/
Queue: Perl-Dist-Strawberry

People
Owner: Nobody in particular
Requestors: Jack [...] Byrness.com
Cc:
AdminCc:

Bug Information
Severity: (no value)
Broken in: (no value)
Fixed in: (no value)



Subject: Getting Win10 popup "Perl Interpreter has stopped working" on 5.24.
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2017 09:06:30 -0700
To: <bug-Perl-Dist-Strawberry [...] rt.cpan.org>
From: "Jack Burness" <Jack [...] Byrness.com>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 2.5k
We have a number of old perl scripts that have been working fine. They now maybe get run once or twice a year to process many text files. One of the old scripts needed a minor tweak so I did it, and I started getting the pop ups. Exception faults. Faulting application name: perl.exe, version: 5.24.0.1, time stamp: 0x +57323a0d Faulting module name: perl524.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x573 +239d2 Exception code: 0xc0000005 Fault offset: 0x000000000007a3ee Faulting process id: 0x3d18 Faulting application start time: 0x01d27b7a00d0b9b8 Faulting application path: C:\StrawberryPerl\perl\bin\perl.exe Faulting module path: C:\StrawberryPerl\perl\bin\perl524.dll Report Id: 8e19886c-5bf8-4d4f-aef1-84a7b8e365aa Faulting package full name: Faulting package-relative application ID: I reported this on Perl Monks (I won't repeat it all here). I naturally thought it might be something I've done. 1181096 Re^2: Win10: Getting popup <http://perlmonks.org/?node_id=1181096> "Perl Interpreter has stopped working" 4 2017-02-04 16:22 1180652 Win10: Getting popup <http://perlmonks.org/?node_id=1180652> "Perl Interpreter has stopped working" However, another old script just stopped working in the same manner (an exception fault). In addition, I tried my original, unmodified script and it would not work. What I did was to back down the Strawberry Perl version to 5.18.2.1 and all three of the old scripts worked like they used to without the fault. Unfortunately these scripts are very large, old style perl scripts and proprietary and I can't send them to you. However, as you can see from the Perl Monks report there apparently is no spot where you can clearly locate the problem. I'm thinking that someplace internally a pointer or reference is being clobbered, and not showing up until later on. Lots of modules are being used, under strict and warnings. use Getopt::Long; ## Provides command line option parsing use POSIX (); ## Use the POSIX library, but don't import any symbols use File::Find; use File::Copy; use Cwd; use Cwd qw(realpath); use IO::Handle; use English; use File::Basename; use File::Copy; use Time::HiRes; use Time::Local; use File::Compare; use Encode; use Scalar::Util qw(looks_like_number); use Regexp::Assemble; use Win32::API; # For creating the mklink. use Errno; use Time::HiRes; use File::stat; use Win32::File; use Win32API::File qw( :ALL ); As a side note, after the original Perl Monks report I upgraded to 5.24.1.1 to see if that made any difference, and it didn't. Thanks Jack


This service is sponsored and maintained by Best Practical Solutions and runs on Perl.org infrastructure.

Please report any issues with rt.cpan.org to rt-cpan-admin@bestpractical.com.