Skip Menu |
 

This queue is for tickets about the libwww-perl CPAN distribution.

Report information
The Basics
Id: 11333
Status: rejected
Priority: 0/
Queue: libwww-perl

People
Owner: Nobody in particular
Requestors: mmathews [...] chello.com
Cc:
AdminCc:

Bug Information
Severity: Important
Broken in: (no value)
Fixed in: (no value)



Subject: Incorrect Content-Length header when posting UTF8 data
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 1.6k
Using LWP::Protocol::http.pm with the following CVS version string: http.pm,v 1.63 2001/12/14 19:33:52 gisle Perl version: v5.6.1 built for sun4-solaris OS version: SunOS amsisfds01 5.7 Generic_106541-19 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-80 I believe there is a problem with the following code snippet: --- if (defined($$content_ref) && length($$content_ref)) { $has_content++; if (!defined($clen) || $clen ne length($$content_ref)) { if (defined $clen) { warn "Content-Length header value was wrong, fixed"; hlist_remove(\@h, 'Content-Length'); } push(@h, 'Content-Length' => length($$content_ref)); } } --- This code basically overrides any user-supplied Content-Length header, replacing it with the value returned by length($$content_ref). The problem I am having when using LWP::UserAgent to Post UTF8-encoded data is that my correct Content-Length header value is being "fixed" and replaced by an incorrect value. I believe the incorrect value is generated by perl's "length" function, which in this circumstance is counting characters, not bytes. However the HTTP protocol expects the number of *bytes* being posted (at least the webserver I am posting to does). There doesn't seem to be any way for me to avoid this problem except by actually commenting out the relevant lines of code cited above. The issue with length can be demonstrated with the following code: --- use charnames ':full'; my $utf8_string = "\N{EURO SIGN}1"; print "length = ", length($utf8_string), "\n"; print "bytes = ", scalar(@{[unpack("C*", $utf8_string)]}); --- I think the "bytes::length" pragma would be useful as part of a solution but I haven't been able to write a working patch.
From: SlavikZ
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 503b
I had similar troubles with sending UTF-8 data with LWP::UserAgent with Content_Type='form-data'. I try to send UTF-8 data with the following line: $res=$ua->request(POST($currURL,\%FormData,Content_Type=>'form-data')); Reciever's script (it use CGI.pm module) die with "Malformed multipart POST" error. Perl version (on the side where LWP::UserAgent was working): 5.6.0. I found the following workaround: I add in top of both HTTP::Request::Common and LWP::Protocol::http packages "use bytes;" pragma.
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 133b
You need to make sure to add encoded data (bytes) to the request you try to send. Newer version of HTTP::Message will enforce this.


This service is sponsored and maintained by Best Practical Solutions and runs on Perl.org infrastructure.

Please report any issues with rt.cpan.org to rt-cpan-admin@bestpractical.com.