This queue is for tickets about the Tao-DBI CPAN distribution.

Report information
The Basics
Id:
109435
Status:
resolved
Priority:
Low/Low
Queue:

People
Owner:
ferreira [...] shoo.cpan.org
Requestors:
SREZIC [...] cpan.org
Cc:
AdminCc:

BugTracker
Severity:
(no value)
Broken in:
  • 0.0008
  • 0.01
Fixed in:
0.012



Subject: Random test failures with perl 5.17.x and later (hash randomization?)
See http://matrix.cpantesters.org/?dist=Tao-DBI%200.0008 for a fail/pass overview --- the pattern (fail reports start with perl 5.17.6) looks like there's a hash randomization issue here. Hint: if you are using Data::Dumper, then you should use the Sortkeys option for predictable hash key order.
The failures in t/006deep.t are due to a forgotten dependency of the test on the YAML module. As it seems, most of the smokers would have this module, which explains the many successful runs of the test. I am preparing 0.01 release with a fix for this. Thanks! On Sun Nov 22 13:51:07 2015, SREZIC wrote:
Show quoted text
> See http://matrix.cpantesters.org/?dist=Tao-DBI%200.0008 for a > fail/pass overview --- the pattern (fail reports start with perl > 5.17.6) looks like there's a hash randomization issue here. > > Hint: if you are using Data::Dumper, then you should use the Sortkeys > option for predictable hash key order.
Well, the 0.01 shows the same random fail/pass pattern. See http://fast-matrix.cpantesters.org/?dist=Tao-DBI%200.01 On 2016-01-03 19:51:32, FERREIRA wrote:
Show quoted text
> The failures in t/006deep.t are due to a forgotten dependency of the > test on the YAML module. As it seems, most of the smokers would have > this module, which explains the many successful runs of the test. I am > preparing 0.01 release with a fix for this. Thanks! > > On Sun Nov 22 13:51:07 2015, SREZIC wrote:
> > See http://matrix.cpantesters.org/?dist=Tao-DBI%200.0008 for a > > fail/pass overview --- the pattern (fail reports start with perl > > 5.17.6) looks like there's a hash randomization issue here. > > > > Hint: if you are using Data::Dumper, then you should use the Sortkeys > > option for predictable hash key order.
You are completely right. I don't know why when I sample a few test failures ā€“ all I saw was the trouble with the undeclared YAML dependency. But the failures due to hash randomization were quite clear now. Release 0.011 should clear this for good. Thanks! On Mon Jan 04 01:22:38 2016, SREZIC wrote:
Show quoted text
> Well, the 0.01 shows the same random fail/pass pattern. See > http://fast-matrix.cpantesters.org/?dist=Tao-DBI%200.01
There are still random failures in 0.011. It seems you misspelled Sortkeys (no CamelCase here!). This patch should help: diff --git i/lib/Tao/DBI/st_deep.pm w/lib/Tao/DBI/st_deep.pm index d7224d1..43a2174 100644 --- i/lib/Tao/DBI/st_deep.pm +++ w/lib/Tao/DBI/st_deep.pm @@ -31,7 +31,7 @@ sub initialize { sub to_perl { require Data::Dumper; - local $Data::Dumper::SortKeys = 1; + local $Data::Dumper::Sortkeys = 1; return Data::Dumper::Dumper(shift); } diff --git i/t/005tr_hash.t w/t/005tr_hash.t index ab17aed..38b3f42 100644 --- i/t/005tr_hash.t +++ w/t/005tr_hash.t @@ -5,7 +5,7 @@ use_ok('Tao::DBI::st_deep'); sub to_perl { require Data::Dumper; - local $Data::Dumper::SortKeys = 1; + local $Data::Dumper::Sortkeys = 1; return Data::Dumper::Dumper(shift); } On 2016-01-05 23:53:21, FERREIRA wrote:
Show quoted text
> You are completely right. I don't know why when I sample a few test > failures ā€“ all I saw was the trouble with the undeclared YAML > dependency. But the failures due to hash randomization were quite > clear now. Release 0.011 should clear this for good. Thanks! > > On Mon Jan 04 01:22:38 2016, SREZIC wrote:
> > Well, the 0.01 shows the same random fail/pass pattern. See > > http://fast-matrix.cpantesters.org/?dist=Tao-DBI%200.01


This service runs on Request Tracker, is sponsored by The Perl Foundation, and maintained by Best Practical Solutions.

Please report any issues with rt.cpan.org to rt-cpan-admin@bestpractical.com.