Skip Menu |
 

Preferred bug tracker

Please visit the preferred bug tracker to report your issue.

This queue is for tickets about the Software-License CPAN distribution.

Report information
The Basics
Id: 105867
Status: open
Priority: 0/
Queue: Software-License

People
Owner: Nobody in particular
Requestors: ribasushi [...] leporine.io
Cc:
AdminCc:

Bug Information
Severity: (no value)
Broken in: (no value)
Fixed in: (no value)



Subject: Generated text contains a very broad interpretation of "perl5"
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 792b
The currently emitted text suffers from the same problem as the GPL, not specifying a specific range of perl 5 versions. Since this distribution is being promoted as "the preferred way to do things", it assumes a requirement to do things as precisely as possible, akin to https://metacpan.org/source/RIBASUSHI/DBIx-Class-0.082820/LICENSE#L5 There are several ways to do this - one can either simply "freeze" the range in place, and only update it sporadically, or one can add a text that will fail when AUTOMATED_TESTING is set and the current perl version lays outside of the preexisting range, thus prompting the maintainer to review the latest history (wording changes etc) of the perl5 license, and update the range again. In any case - what App::S::L does currently is not good enough.
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 980b
On 2015-07-14 13:33:26, RIBASUSHI wrote: Show quoted text
> The currently emitted text suffers from the same problem as the GPL, > not specifying a specific range of perl 5 versions. Since this > distribution is being promoted as "the preferred way to do things", it > assumes a requirement to do things as precisely as possible, akin to > https://metacpan.org/source/RIBASUSHI/DBIx-Class-0.082820/LICENSE#L5 > > There are several ways to do this - one can either simply "freeze" the > range in place, and only update it sporadically, or one can add a text > that will fail when AUTOMATED_TESTING is set and the current perl > version lays outside of the preexisting range, thus prompting the > maintainer to review the latest history (wording changes etc) of the > perl5 license, and update the range again. > > In any case - what App::S::L does currently is not good enough.
Was this ticket intended for Software::License? ASL is simply a very thin command-line wrapper interface around SL.
Subject: Re: [rt.cpan.org #105867] Generated text contains a very broad interpretation of "perl5"
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 23:12:19 +0200
To: bug-App-Software-License [...] rt.cpan.org
From: Peter Rabbitson <ribasushi [...] cpan.org>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 285b
On 07/14/2015 10:51 PM, Karen Etheridge via RT wrote: Show quoted text
> Was this ticket intended for Software::License? ASL is simply a very > thin command-line wrapper interface around SL.
Possibly, I didn't look at the source at all, just the output. Feel free to reassign to a different queue.
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 542b
On 2015-07-14 14:12:34, RIBASUSHI wrote: Show quoted text
> On 07/14/2015 10:51 PM, Karen Etheridge via RT wrote:
> > Was this ticket intended for Software::License? ASL is simply a very > > thin command-line wrapper interface around SL.
> > Possibly, I didn't look at the source at all, just the output. Feel free > to reassign to a different queue.
It sounds like what you're asking is for the text of the Perl_5 license to be more specific as to which version(s) of Perl it is intending to cover. That's far outside of my purview; I am not a lawyer.
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 841b
On Tue Jul 14 23:31:52 2015, ETHER wrote: Show quoted text
> On 2015-07-14 14:12:34, RIBASUSHI wrote:
> > On 07/14/2015 10:51 PM, Karen Etheridge via RT wrote:
> > > Was this ticket intended for Software::License? ASL is simply a > > > very > > > thin command-line wrapper interface around SL.
> > > > Possibly, I didn't look at the source at all, just the output. Feel > > free > > to reassign to a different queue.
> > > It sounds like what you're asking is for the text of the Perl_5 > license to be more specific as to which version(s) of Perl it is > intending to cover. That's far outside of my purview; I am not a > lawyer.
I am not asking you for legal counsel. I am asking for the text emitted for Perl_5 to include the perl5 version range available *at the time* the license text was generated. Again - see link above for a real-life example.
Subject: Re: [rt.cpan.org #105867] Generated text contains a very broad interpretation of "perl5"
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 08:48:02 +0200
To: bug-Software-License [...] rt.cpan.org
From: Peter Rabbitson <ribasushi [...] cpan.org>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 233b
If there are concerns about the validity of this report due to me not having official legal training, please refer to this https://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/02/msg00045.html (the entire thread is very much worth a read).
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 198b
I don't think that Perl 5 has changed its license since 5.0. I imagine that saying "the same license as Perl v5.0" would solve this, if so. (I'll check that there has been no change, first.) Yes?
Subject: Re: [rt.cpan.org #105867] Generated text contains a very broad interpretation of "perl5"
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 14:45:21 +0200
To: bug-Software-License [...] rt.cpan.org
From: Peter Rabbitson <ribasushi [...] cpan.org>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 629b
On 07/15/2015 02:35 PM, Ricardo Signes via RT wrote: Show quoted text
> <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=105867 > > > I don't think that Perl 5 has changed its license since 5.0. I imagine that saying "the same license as Perl v5.0" would solve this, if so. (I'll check that there has been no change, first.) > > Yes?
There has been no changes between 5.0 and 5.20 (I did the homework on that previously). I think that to avoid confusion it would be really worth it to say 5.0~5.X and periodically bump X (after examining the diffs between tags). But yes - saying 5.0 will already be much better than what is emitted now.


This service is sponsored and maintained by Best Practical Solutions and runs on Perl.org infrastructure.

Please report any issues with rt.cpan.org to rt-cpan-admin@bestpractical.com.