Skip Menu |
 

This queue is for tickets about the Net-Telnet CPAN distribution.

Report information
The Basics
Id: 94913
Status: new
Priority: 0/
Queue: Net-Telnet

People
Owner: jay [...] rgrs.com
Requestors: LSTEVENS [...] cpan.org
Cc:
AdminCc:

Bug Information
Severity: Important
Broken in: 3.04
Fixed in: 3.03



Subject: fhopen() broken in version 3.04 on MSWin32 systems
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-Mailer: MIME-tools 5.504 (Entity 5.504)
Content-Disposition: inline
X-RT-Interface: Web
Message-ID: <rt-4.0.18-25090-1398100736-1623.0-0-0 [...] rt.cpan.org>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary
X-RT-Original-Encoding: utf-8
X-RT-Encrypt: 0
X-RT-Sign: 0
Content-Length: 4300
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 4.1k
I'm using both ActiveState Perl v5.16.3 and Strawberry Perl v5.18.2 on MSWin32-x86-multi-thread and I extensively use Net::Telnet but I open my own sockets either with either IO::Socket::INET or IO::Socket::IP. This was working fine with Net::Telnet 3.03 but is broken with latest version 3.04. This code snippet, which uses open(), works well with both 3.03 & 3.04 : use Net::Telnet (); print "Using Net::Telnet $Net::Telnet::VERSION\n"; $host = "<ip address>"; $telnet_timeout = 20; $t = new Net::Telnet (Timeout => $telnet_timeout, Errmode => 'return'); $t->open($host); print "Open done\n"; $output = $t->get or die $t->errmsg; print $output, "\n"; $output = $t->get(Timeout => 0); print "\nNon-blocking read >", $output, "<\n"; The output is respectively: Using Net::Telnet 3.03 Open done login: Non-blocking read >< and: Using Net::Telnet 3.04 Open done login: Non-blocking read >< This code snippet, which uses fhopen(), works well with 3.03 but fails with 3.04 : use Net::Telnet (); use IO::Socket::IP; use IO::Socket::INET; print "Using Net::Telnet $Net::Telnet::VERSION\n"; $host = "<ip address>"; $telnet_timeout = 20; $connect_timeout = 15; $t = new Net::Telnet (Timeout => $telnet_timeout, Errmode => 'return'); $sock = IO::Socket::INET->new(PeerHost => $host, PeerPort => 23, Timeout => $connect_timeout) or die "Unable to establish socket - $@"; #$sock = IO::Socket::IP->new(PeerHost => $host, PeerPort => 23, Blocking => 1) or die "Unable to establish socket - $@"; $t->fhopen($sock) or die $t->errmsg; print "Open done\n"; $output = $t->get or die $t->errmsg; print $output, "\n"; $output = $t->get(Timeout => 0); # Code gets stuck here with Net::Telnet 3.04 print "\nNon-blocking read >", $output, "<\n"; The output is respectively: Using Net::Telnet 3.03 Open done login: Non-blocking read >< and: Using Net::Telnet 3.04 Open done login: Terminating on signal SIGINT(2) <== had to kill script with CTRL-C Note that exactly the same happens if using IO::Socket::IP instead of IO::Socket::INET This code snippet, which also uses fhopen(), works well with 3.03 but again fails with 3.04 : use Net::Telnet (); use IO::Socket::IP; use Errno qw( EINPROGRESS EWOULDBLOCK ); print "Using Net::Telnet $Net::Telnet::VERSION\n"; $host = "<ip address>"; $telnet_timeout = 20; $connect_timeout = 15; $t = new Net::Telnet (Timeout => $telnet_timeout, Errmode => 'return'); $sock = IO::Socket::IP->new(PeerHost => $host, PeerPort => 23, Blocking => 0) or die "Unable to establish socket - $@"; while( !$sock->connect && ( $! == EINPROGRESS || $! == EWOULDBLOCK ) ) { my $wvec = ''; vec( $wvec, fileno $sock, 1 ) = 1; my $evec = ''; vec( $evec, fileno $sock, 1 ) = 1; select( undef, $wvec, $evec, $connect_timeout ) or die "Connection timeout expired"; } die "Unable to connect - $!" if $!; $t->fhopen($sock) or die $t->errmsg; print "Open done\n"; $output = $t->get or die $t->errmsg; # with Net::Telnet 3.04, dies with error: A non-blocking socket operation could not be completed immediately print $output, "\n"; $output = $t->get(Timeout => 0); print "\nNon-blocking read >", $output, "<\n"; The output is respectively: Using Net::Telnet 3.03 Open done login: Non-blocking read >< and: Using Net::Telnet 3.04 Open done read error: A non-blocking socket operation could not be completed immediately. at net-telnet-test3.pl line 24. The problem is related to line 710 of Net::Telnet 3.04 : $s->{select_supported} = $^O ne "MSWin32" || -S $self; This line gets executed by fhopen() and always sets object hash key select_supported to false on Windows systems. In particular the -S file test operator to check if the filehandle is a socket does not appear to work on Windows systems. So perhaps the above line should be replaced with: $s->{select_supported} = $^O eq "MSWin32" || -S $self; As a workaround, I can get my code to work again on the newer 3.04 Net::Telnet if I add this line immediately after the fhopen(): $t->fhopen($sock) or die $t->errmsg; (*$t->{net_telnet})->{select_supported} = 1;


This service is sponsored and maintained by Best Practical Solutions and runs on Perl.org infrastructure.

Please report any issues with rt.cpan.org to rt-cpan-admin@bestpractical.com.