Skip Menu |
 

This queue is for tickets about the ExtUtils-ModuleMaker CPAN distribution.

Report information
The Basics
Id: 35271
Status: open
Priority: 0/
Queue: ExtUtils-ModuleMaker

People
Owner: Nobody in particular
Requestors: imacat [...] mail.imacat.idv.tw
Cc:
AdminCc:

Bug Information
Severity: Important
Broken in: 0.51
Fixed in: (no value)



Subject: Artistic License Incorrect and GPLv1 and GPLv3 Update
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-Mailer: MIME-tools 5.418 (Entity 5.418)
Charset: utf8
X-RT-Original-Encoding: utf-8
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="----------=_1208803554-9088-4"
Content-Length: 0
Content-Type: text/plain
Content-Disposition: inline
Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary
Content-Length: 1371
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 1.3k
Dear James E Keenan, Hi. This is imacat from Taiwan. I found that the licenses your ExtUtils-ModuleMaker-0.51 provided has some problems: 1. The Artistic License in ExtUtils::ModuleMaker is incorrect. The Artistic License that ship with Perl itself was not updated for more than 10 years, and your version of Artistic License has terms that does not meet the Perl version, namely: (1) "Standard Version" definition in the "Definitions" section. (2) 3. a) "ftp.uu.net" => "uunet.uu.net" (3) 4. c) Text completely different. (4) 5. Missing "You may embed ..." to the end. (5) 6. "to whomever" => "to whoever" (6) 6. Missing "If such scripts or library files ..." to the end. (7) 7. Text complete different. (8) 8. Missing. 2. The Perl itself ship with the GPLv1 and Artistic Licenses, but ExtUtils::ModuleMaker provides the GPLv2 and Artistic Licenses as "the same as Perl itself". This is incorrect. ExtUtils::ModuleMaker should ship with GPLv1 in case of a Perl license is chosen. 3. GPLv3 is released for almost an year. An option for GPLv3 should be added, and should be the default of the gpl license. I made a simple patch against ExtUtils-ModuleMaker-0.51, in the hope that it helps. Please tell me if you need any more information, or if I could be of any help. Thank you.
Subject: ExtUtils-ModuleMaker-0.51-licenses.diff
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="----------=_1208803554-9088-3"
X-Mailer: MIME-tools 5.418 (Entity 5.418)
Charset: utf8
Content-Length: 0
Content-Type: text/plain
Content-Disposition: inline
Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary
X-RT-Original-Encoding: iso-8859-1
Content-Length: 0
Content-Type: application/octet-stream; name="ExtUtils-ModuleMaker-0.51-licenses.diff"
Content-Disposition: inline; filename="ExtUtils-ModuleMaker-0.51-licenses.diff"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Length: 109813

Message body is not shown because it is too large.

MIME-Version: 1.0
X-Mailer: MIME-tools 5.418 (Entity 5.418)
Charset: utf8
Message-Id: <rt-3.6.HEAD-9073-1208804612-623.35271-0-0 [...] rt.cpan.org>
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="----------=_1208804612-9073-19"
X-RT-Original-Encoding: utf-8
Content-Length: 0
Content-Disposition: inline
Content-Type: text/plain
Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary
X-RT-Original-Encoding: utf-8
Content-Length: 1302
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 1.2k
On 2008-04-21 14:45:59 Mon, IMACAT wrote: Show quoted text
> Hi. This is imacat from Taiwan. I found that the licenses your > ExtUtils-ModuleMaker-0.51 provided has some problems: > 1. The Artistic License in ExtUtils::ModuleMaker is incorrect. The > Artistic License that ship with Perl itself was not updated for more > than 10 years, and your version of Artistic License has terms that does > not meet the Perl version, namely: > 2. The Perl itself ship with the GPLv1 and Artistic Licenses, but > ExtUtils::ModuleMaker provides the GPLv2 and Artistic Licenses as "the > same as Perl itself". This is incorrect. ExtUtils::ModuleMaker should > ship with GPLv1 in case of a Perl license is chosen. > 3. GPLv3 is released for almost an year. An option for GPLv3 > should be added, and should be the default of the gpl license.
Sorry, I forgot to mention 4. The "Artistic License w/ Aggregation" license is no longer needed, and should be removed. The Artistic License from the Perl distribution has the aggregation term (term 8). Also, I made a new patch. The previous one forgot to update the license menu in the modulemaker POD. Please use the new patch. Hope that this helps. Please tell me if you need any more information, or if I could be of any help. Thank you.
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-Mailer: MIME-tools 5.418 (Entity 5.418)
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="----------=_1208804612-9073-18"
Charset: utf8
Content-Length: 0
Content-Type: text/plain
Content-Disposition: inline
Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary
X-RT-Original-Encoding: iso-8859-1
X-RT-Original-Encoding: iso-8859-1
Content-Length: 0
Content-Type: application/octet-stream; name="ExtUtils-ModuleMaker-0.51-licenses.diff"
Content-Disposition: inline; filename="ExtUtils-ModuleMaker-0.51-licenses.diff"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Length: 109813

Message body is not shown because it is too large.



This service is sponsored and maintained by Best Practical Solutions and runs on Perl.org infrastructure.

Please report any issues with rt.cpan.org to rt-cpan-admin@bestpractical.com.